Callum Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Callum:
Borrowed from the Scottish, Calum is a Gaelic form of the Latin Columba (dove). Var: Callum, Kallum. Short: Cal, Kal.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Callum? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Callum
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales (2013)
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- English Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England
- Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Wales
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Callum
- Comments and insights on the name Callum: | Edit
The pronounciation of this name is up for opinion. I named my son Callum and we pronounce it Cay-lum. Majority of people I have encountered say it wrong, and almost no one has heard of it. It is a good name if you want something unusual but edgy!
Actually, you are pronouncing it wrong. If it were meant to be pronuounced Cay-lim, it should only have one 'L'. The two 'L's are what cause the 'A' to become a short vowel. No wonder you think everyone is pronouncing it wrong. If you spell something a normal way and insist it's pronounced like something else, you had that coming.
2. I haven't heard the Cay-lum variation, but I do love the Cal-lum pronunciation! Solid name that references Scottish roots.
I live in the UK where Callum is very popular and I have never heard any pronounciation apart from Cal-lum. Callums normally go by Cal.
If you want to pronounce this name as Cay-lum than why don't you spell It like this: Caylem
My son is Callum and it gets mispronounced as Cay-lum by Americans which gets on my nerves. It's phonetic! I think it's the aiden Caden effect. Anyway, we correct people but it is annoying that people can't read their own language. I'm English. Husband is American.
No, the pronunciation of the name is not up for opinion - it is Cal-lum. Our Callum has also been called Cay-lum and Call-um by many here in the US. Our history extends to its originating country. The name will never be, Cay-lum.
My son (born March 2016) is named Callum Arthur (standard pronunciation). We live in Canada and it is not a common name here (more popular in the UK). I love his name & it suits him perfectly. We have gotten a lot of positive feedback on the name, although many people have never heard it before. Several have mispronounced the name "column" and a few "cay-lem" or even confused with "Caleb".
- Personal experiences with the name Callum: | Edit
I am Scottish but live in Florida and have a little boy named callum. The ONLY pronunciation of this name is kal-um. This is the proper pronunciation and any other way is wrong. If you wanted to call your son a name that is pronounced cay-lum then why not name him Caylum? Like most Scottish names, the a is hard like in Aaron or Andrew. Not soft like in Caleb or cayman. I hope this sets the record straight - take it from a Scotsman, this is correct!!
My name's Callum. Born in America but parents are both British citizens, Dad is Scottish. I've never met another Callum in the states (plenty in Edinburgh, not one here) so I've had it pronounced wrong more often than right. It's cal-lum, not cay-lum, not call-um. I understand that if you've never met one it's easy to mispronounce because English is a confusing language, but to those who've called their kids Callum and insist on some alternate pronunciation of the name, you're kidding yourselves: there isn't one. Change it now while you still can.
- Nicknames for Callum: | Edit
Cal, Cay Cay, Call, Col, Coll, Calm
- Meanings and history of the name Callum: | Edit
Scottish form of Columba. Late Latin name meaning "dove".
- Famous real-life people named Callum: | Edit
Callum Blue - Actor, Dead Like Me
Callum Keith Rennie
- Callum in song, story & screen: | Edit
Callum Hunt is the main character in Magesterium book 1, The Iron Trial by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black.