Callum: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Callum | Boys
Origin of the name Callum:
Borrowed from the Scottish, Calum is a Gaelic form of the Latin Columba (dove). Var: Callum, Kallum. Short: Cal, Kal.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Callum? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Callum
- Comments and insights on the name Callum: | Edit
The pronounciation of this name is up for opinion. I named my son Callum and we pronounce it Cay-lum. Majority of people I have encountered say it wrong, and almost no one has heard of it. It is a good name if you want something unusual but edgy!
Actually, you are pronouncing it wrong. If it were meant to be pronuounced Cay-lim, it should only have one 'L'. The two 'L's are what cause the 'A' to become a short vowel. No wonder you think everyone is pronouncing it wrong. If you spell something a normal way and insist it's pronounced like something else, you had that coming.
2. I haven't heard the Cay-lum variation, but I do love the Cal-lum pronunciation! Solid name that references Scottish roots.
I live in the UK where Callum is very popular and I have never heard any pronounciation apart from Cal-lum. Callums normally go by Cal.
If you want to pronounce this name as Cay-lum than why don't you spell It like this: Caylem
My son is Callum and it gets mispronounced as Cay-lum by Americans which gets on my nerves. It's phonetic! I think it's the aiden Caden effect. Anyway, we correct people but it is annoying that people can't read their own language. I'm English. Husband is American.
- Personal experiences with the name Callum: | Edit
I am Scottish but live in Florida and have a little boy named callum. The ONLY pronunciation of this name is kal-um. This is the proper pronunciation and any other way is wrong. If you wanted to call your son a name that is pronounced cay-lum then why not name him Caylum? Like most Scottish names, the a is hard like in Aaron or Andrew. Not soft like in Caleb or cayman. I hope this sets the record straight - take it from a Scotsman, this is correct!!
- Nicknames for Callum: | Edit
Cal, Cay Cay
- Meanings and history of the name Callum: | Edit
Scottish form of Columba. Late Latin name meaning "dove".
- Famous real-life people named Callum: | Edit
Callum Blue - Actor, Dead Like Me
Callum Keith Rennie
- Callum in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!
Name Lists Featuring Callum
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Callum
- #7 in Scotland
- #15 in Wales
- #17 in Northern Ireland
- #22 in England
- #22 in Ireland
- #80 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #86 in Australia (Victoria)
- #156 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #170 in Canada (Alberta)
- #976 in United States