Cameron Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Cameron:
Transferred use of the Scottish surname that originated from the Gaelic nickname cam sròn (crooked nose). Var: Kameron. Short: Cam, Kam.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Cameron? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Cameron
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand 2014
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales (2013)
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland 2014
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand for 2012
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
Contribute your knowledge to the name Cameron
- Comments and insights on the name Cameron: | Edit
Cameron is the best name ever and I like that name a person named cameron is my best friend and is caring and awesome.
- Personal experiences with the name Cameron: | Edit
My husband's name is Cameron, and I love the name and have many friends who love the name.
My husband's name is also Cameron--I like it. It seems that the name is becoming more and more popular.
My son's name is Cameron. I love it because it is masculine and has a good nickname "Cam". I think it's a handsome name.
I have a brother named Cameron and I have always loved the name. It has a unique quality but it is not TOO unusual. The name to me is strong but friendly, and I would use it on my son if I didn't have four other brothers to offend!
My Best Friend's name is Cameron. We are so close, we are practically brother and sister! My name Is Kellie.
My name is Hannah an my boyfriend's name is Cameron I love him so much!
My name is Cameron and I have to admit that I like my name. People generally don't call me "Cameron", though. It's normally shorted to "Cam" in casual conversation. I do tend to get a lot of compliments on my name. When I meet new people, I usually get the same ole' "That's a nice name!" or "Cameron, huh? I like that!" Not that I'm complaining! Lol.
My boyfriend name is Cameron. So was one of my other boyfriends. They are both very sweet and funny. My boyfriends nickname is Cam. His father and other family members are the only other people who call him Cam. Cameron is a very interesting name.
My best friend has a boyfriend named Cameron(we all call him just that) and he is REALLY funny, and can turn a sad day into a happy one in seconds. He is kind, sweet, and helpful. He refers to himself as Cameron-The-Koons and is overly obsessed(and so is his girlfriend, my best friend) with Dr. Who and Sherlock Holmes stuff. I never really got into that, but they've both tried many times to persuade me! XD
- Nicknames for Cameron: | Edit
Cam, Cam Cam, Cameroni, Cameo, Cam-O, Ron, Scampi, Cammy, "C", C-Money, Camel Toe ( from famous skateboarder Cameron Slater Glendale AZ. USA.)
Camel, Camel Hump, Camel Humper, Camel Toe, Camel Jockey. Cama-Roni. Camerillo, Camarillo, Cameroon, Camelion.
- Meanings and history of the name Cameron: | Edit
Cameron means "crooked nose". Also possibly means "crooked hill" or "crooked stream".
In Spanish it sounds very similar to "shrimp".
Came from an important ancestor and became the surname of a Scottish Highland clan.
- Famous real-life people named Cameron: | Edit
Cameron Crowe - American screenwriter and director (Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Say Anything, Singles, Jerry McGuire, Almost Famous, etc.)
Cameron Boyce - American actor
Cam'ron - A Grammy-nominated, American rapper and actor.
Cameron Douglas - An American actor.
Cameron Bird - Musician, Architecture in Helsinki
Cameron Mitchell - American actor (stage and screen, originated the role of Happy in Death of a Salesman on Broadway, and was Buck in The 60s western The High Chapparal). His son with the same name is also an actor.
Cameron Dallas - American internet personality
Cameron Monaghan - American actor
Cameron Liddell, guitarist for the band Asking Alexandria
Cameron Long- Youtuber (Fresh Men)
As A Surname:
James Cameron - Director of Titanic, Avatar, The Terminator (1 & 2), Aliens, etc.
David Cameron - Current Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- Cameron in song, story & screen: | Edit
Cameron is the name of Ferris Bueller's best friend in the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"