Casimir: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Casimir
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Casimir? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Casimir
- Comments and insights on the name Casimir: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Casimir: | Edit
My grandfather's name is Casimir, but he earned the more American name Ben from his friends when he was a young child. I want to name my son after him and I think Cas would be a cute nickname.
- Nicknames for Casimir: | Edit
Cas(sounds lik Caz).
- Meanings and history of the name Casimir: | Edit
It's origin is Polish and it is sometimes considered to mean peacemaker. However, it is comprised of two Slavic words; kazic "to destroy" and mir "peace" or alternately mer "great. With this interpetation it means literally "Great Destroyer/Destroyer of Peace". It was especially popular among Polish immigrants in the early 1900s in the United States.
- Famous real-life people named Casimir: | Edit
St. Casimir, King Casimer the Great of Poland, and Polish war hero Kazimierz Pulaski.
Kazimierz Kord, conductor of the Warsaw Philharmonic.
- Casimir in song, story & screen: | Edit
a song, Casimir Pulaski Day by Sufjan Stevens