Cian Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Cian? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Cian
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Cian
- Comments and insights on the name Cian: | Edit
We named our son Cian in 2004.
It was unheard of then in the U.S. though we've bumped into a few younger ones, usually spelled Kian.
My name Cian is derived from my father's nickname Ciano (his full name Feliciano), and it's pronounced in the Spanish way, 'Shawn' .... it's a treat to know Cian means 'ancient' in Celt, but pronounced KEE-an!
- Personal experiences with the name Cian: | Edit
My name Cian is pronounced Sean/Shawn, and people are surprised at it's spelling and they really like it. Pronounced 'KEE-an' I can understand why it's not a popular name in America. However pronounced 'Sean' I would think it's popularity rating would soar. However, I'm glad to be the sole owner (at least in my experience) to have this unique name.
- Nicknames for Cian: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Cian: | Edit
Celtic for "ancient"
In Irish mythology, Cian is Dian Cecht’s son, husband of the Fomoire Ethne, Lugh’s father.
He was killed by Tuireann’s sons while he had a boar’s shape. Seven times, the earth refused his body.
- Famous real-life people named Cian: | Edit
Cían mac Máelmuaid was an ally of Brian Boru and is believed to have married Brian's daughter
Cian Morrin, member of Irish boyband HomeTown
- Cian in song, story & screen: | Edit
There was a recent fantasy series featuring a character named Cian who fights vampires. The books were by Nora Roberts.