Clayton: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Clayton
Origin of the name Clayton:
Transferred use of the surname originating from a place-name derived from the Old English elements claēg (clay) and tūn (town, settlement, village, enclosure): hence, "settlement near the clay pit."
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Clayton? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Clayton
Contribute your knowledge to the name Clayton
- Comments and insights on the name Clayton: | Edit
Clayton is a nice name, but please don't spell it Klayton.
- Personal experiences with the name Clayton: | Edit
Friends cousin, called Clay by everyone.
- Nicknames for Clayton: | Edit
Clay, Ton, Clay-Rice
- Meanings and history of the name Clayton: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Clayton: | Edit
Adam Clayton Powell, first African-American Congressman representing New York. Harlem's 125th Street is also named after him -- Adam Clayton Powell Blvd.
- Clayton in song, story & screen: | Edit
Clayton was the antagonist in the animated Disney film Tarzan.
Clayton is a major character in Kelley Armstrong's books in the Otherworld series.
Clayton ''Clay'' Evans is one of the lead charachters in one tree hill.