Cody: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Cody
Origin of the name Cody:
Derived from the Irish Gaelic surname Mac Óda (son of Odo), a name thought to date to the 13th century. Odo is an obsolete name meaning “wealthy.”
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Cody? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Cody
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Wales
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Cody
- Comments and insights on the name Cody: | Edit
My son is 10 and is called cody. He is a loving, caring and kind little soul. He is shy and is very family orientated. He will accomplish anything he puts his mind into And just so eager to please. A wit of rough and tumble but he is a boy after all
- Personal experiences with the name Cody: | Edit
I'm a school teacher and every Cody that I've had has been the "rough-and-tumble" sort.
My son is named Cody and he is very "rough and tumble" always has been.
My younger brother is named Cody. I would describe him as super nice, giving, and very much a family guy.
My boyfriends name is Cody and he is far from "rough and tumble". He was known as the "nice guy" in high school. Everyone loved him. He's someone who stays away from the party scene. Doesn't ever drink or do drugs. He's very motivated, good work ethic. In College now for engineering.
The Cody I know is definitely a "rough and tumble" sort but also very nice and friendly.
- Nicknames for Cody: | Edit
Code, Codes, Codfish, codemeister, codester, coke
- Meanings and history of the name Cody: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Cody: | Edit
Diablo Cody, (female) screenwriter (of 2007 film "Juno")
William "Buffalo Bill" Cody, whose famous Wild West shows give the name cowboy cred
Cody Lambert, former professional saddle bronc & bull rider. He created the protective vest that most Professional Bull Riders wear, after seeing the death of his friend, Lane Frost.
Cody Simpson, a popular teen Australian singer
Cody Calafiore, Big Brother 16 contestant
- Cody in song, story & screen: | Edit
Cody Bennett, Dexter Morgan's stepson in Showtime's hit series, "Dexter"
Cody Banks, titular character of the kid's movie "Agent Cody Banks"
Cody Maverick, main character in the film "Surf's Up"
Cody Martin, one of tbe main characters in the Disney Channel series "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody" and its spin-off, "The Suite Life on Deck"
Cody is the name of the boy whom the mice must rescue in Disney's "Rescuers Down Under"