Colin Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Colin:
Borrowed from the English, Colin originated as a medieval variant of the obsolete Colle, a short form of Nicholas (victory of the people). Alternatively, Colin is the Anglicized form of the Gaelic Cailean (dove). Var: Collan, Collin, Collun, Coln, Colun.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Colin? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Colin
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden 2014
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany 2014
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
Contribute your knowledge to the name Colin
- Comments and insights on the name Colin: | Edit
In Commonwealth countries this name is pronounced as "Call-in," but in America this is occasionally pronounced as "Co-lynn," as with the famous bearer Colin Powell.
When I think of the name Colin, I think "Cool Colin," and that really drives me nuts. I don't like the name.
- Personal experiences with the name Colin: | Edit
I'm a Colin. Born in Scotland, but hated the name while growing up.
It is the anglicised version of Cailean.
It was only after a bit of research that I discovered that my name Colin MacKenzie (Cailean MacCoinnach) is a historical family name. Although the Scots Gaelic name is recorded with the spelling Colin from as early as the 14th century, so how often it was actually Cailean is subjcetive.
I like it a lot more now but would not choose to name a child Colin. Although if a relative chose to name their baby boy after me, I'd be chuffed to bits.
My brother is Iain, the Gaelic form of John. My Cousins are Callum and Euan. I think the choices were made by my mother and my Aunt.
- Nicknames for Colin: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Meanings and history of the name Colin: | Edit
bossy, talkative one, likes to take charge.
- Famous real-life people named Colin: | Edit
Colin Braun, race car driver
Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers quarterback
Colin Cowherd, ESPN radio show host (The Herd)
Colin Edwards, MotoGP motorcycle racer
Colin Farrell, actor
Colin Firth, actor
Colin McRae, race car driver
Colin Meloy, lead singer of The Decemberists
Colin Mochrie, comedian
Colin Morgan, actor
Colin O'Donoghue, Irish actor
Colin Powell, general and former Secretary of State
Colin Turkington, race car driver
- Colin in song, story & screen: | Edit
Colin Craven, a character from Frances Hodgson Burnett's "The Secret Garden"
Colin Creevey, a Gryffindor student in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Colin Singleton, the protagonist from John Green's novel, "An Abundance of Katherines"
Colin Fisher "Bones"