Colman: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Colman
Origin of the name Colman:
Transferred use of the English surname derived from the Old English elements col (coal) and mann (man), which originated as an occupational name for a charcoal burner or someone who dealt with coal. Var: Koleman. Short: Cole, Kole.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Colman? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Colman
- Comments and insights on the name Colman: | Edit
Confusion with the outdoor brand Coleman is probably inevitable.
- Personal experiences with the name Colman: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Colman: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Colman: | Edit
Rather than a trade-related name, other sources say this is related to Colm / Columba (the saint).
Colm means "Dove"; Colmán means "Little Dove"
- Famous real-life people named Colman: | Edit
Arguably the most holy Irish saint's name, Colmán was the name of literally hundreds of Irish saints. I've read accounts varying from 250-350 saints, both male and female, carrying this name.
Colman Domingo, American actor and playwright.
- Colman in song, story & screen: | Edit
Colman, character in Monica Furlong's magical "Juniper" trilogy.