Connor: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Connor
Origin of the name Connor:
Anglicized form of the Irish Gaelic Conchobhar, a compound name composed of the ele-ments conn (wisdom, counsel, strength) or con (hound, dog) and cobhair (aid). “High, will, desire” and “hound lover” are other definitions attributed to the name. Var: Conner.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Connor? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Connor
- Comments and insights on the name Connor: | Edit
Connor is a name that is unusual, but not unheard of. It is a strong name that goes well with most surnames. Having two syllables it flows as well with one syllable surnames as it does with surnames that are longer.
- Personal experiences with the name Connor: | Edit
Unfortunately, there are several ways to spell this name and people are constantly misspelling my son's name by using "er" at the end (which is more typical of the surname spelling) rather than "or."
My classmate's name was Connor, and whenever I see the name I can't help but get stuck on the image of his bright blue eyes and amazing smile. He was murdered February 2009. It's a strong, emotional name for me, and what I will name my first son.
- Nicknames for Connor: | Edit
Con, Connie, con con, c-dog, con man, conrad
- Meanings and history of the name Connor: | Edit
It's of Gaelic origin and it means dog/wolf lover.
- Famous real-life people named Connor: | Edit
Connor Wilkinson Photographer/Famous Tumblr User
Connor Franta, sexy American Youtuber, 1/6 of O2L
Connor Paolo, American actor
Connor Barth, American NFL football player
Connor Barwin, American NFL football player
Connor Cruise, American actor; son of Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman
- Connor in song, story & screen: | Edit
Conner Stoll, one of the children of Hermes his brother is Travis Stoll in the "Percy Jackson & The Olympians" fantasy series by Rick Riordan.
Connor Mead: Main character in "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past", played by Matthew McConaughey.
Connor Grogan: Son of Jennifer Aniston & Owen Wilson's characters in the movie "Marley and Me"
Connor McLeod is the hero of the "Highlander" movie series.
Connor Deslauriers - regular but minor character on the TV series Degrassi: The Next Generation
Connor- Son of Angel on the series "Angel"
Sean Patrick Flanery played Connor MacManus in both 'The Boondock Saints' and 'The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day'
Name Lists Featuring Connor
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Alberta), 2010