Cooper: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Cooper
Origin of the name Cooper:
Transferred use of the English surname that originated as an occupational name for a cooper, a cask or barrel maker or seller. It is derived from the Middle English couper (a cask). Short: Coop.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Cooper? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Cooper
- Comments and insights on the name Cooper: | Edit
My first son's name is Cooper. I still love the name.
when I was pregnant, my niece (2 at the time) called him Pooker for a long time. We loved it, and still occasionally refer to him as Pooker.
Im actually considering the name Cooper for a girl.
My niece name is Cooper. She is 16 now. She is awesome
- Personal experiences with the name Cooper: | Edit
My surname is Cooper, and I find it somewhat silly that it is becoming such a popular first name. It refers to a person whose profession is making barrels. It would be like naming a child Wainscot or Thatcher. (comment: thatcher sounds like a great first name! - just sayin')
My son is named Cooper. We love it...just uncommon enough. I am pregnant and we want a similar name for the next baby. We are considering Avery for a boy.
My dad had a mate who worked for the police named Cooper, so he was Cooper the Copper haha
My son is named Cooper and he is 11. We live in a very small Rural community (4000 in our town and maybe 20,000 combined in all 5 surrounding towns) and since he was born there have been 7 other babies in our area named Cooper...it's becoming quite popular in our little area. We named him after a friend in college who's last name was Cooper and we always called Coop. Now we call our son Coop, but when he's playing baseball he's frequently called Super Coop, or Super Scooper Cooper...because he's a great 3rd baseman and Pitcher.
My 3 year old is called Cooper, always get comments on his name, how nice it is and unusual (we live in uk) I don't think there is another child called Cooper in the whole of my children's primary school and I like that. We don't really shorten it to anything and neither does anyone else but I'm sure when he is older is friends will shorten it to coop.
I have a coworker who's daughter is actually named Cooper. I think it works either way, I know it's largely a male name but I can see it being like Morgan and Jordan, over time it may make the transition to being completely unisex.
- Nicknames for Cooper: | Edit
Coop, Coops, Coopey, Super Cooper, Coop-man, Coop-Dog, Coopster, Cooper the Pooper Scooper
- Meanings and history of the name Cooper: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Cooper: | Edit
Cooper Manning (Peyton and Eli's brother)
- Cooper in song, story & screen: | Edit
Dr. Cooper Freedman, character on TV show "Private Practice"
Cooper Whedon, character on TV show "Brothers & Sisters"
Cooper Nielson, character in movie "Center Stage"
Name Lists Featuring Cooper
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010