Declan: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Declan
Origin of the name Declan:
Anglicized form of the Irish Deaglán, which is of uncertain meaning. The name was borne by a 6th century saint who was baptized by St. Colman. Var: Deklan.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Declan? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Declan
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Declan
- Comments and insights on the name Declan: | Edit
My son's name is Declan (born 2000) and many people like it. The biggest problem with his name is they always think it's De Clan. They always separate the name and pronounce it like that, as well. Or they think we say Jaclyn, as if we would name a boy that..lol
Our grandson is Decklen also ( born 2010) but spelled a little different!
Our 3-year-old, Declan, sometimes gets the mispronunciations deh-Clan, DEEK-lan, or (my favorite, from his classmates) Dek-uh-lan. We usually call him D, and are often complimented on the name, which is swell. It suits him, as he's a good kid.
- Personal experiences with the name Declan: | Edit
My son's name is Dechlan. Obviously, pronounced the same way but I have an aversion to conformity, I guess. He is 3 1/2 years old and I think the name suits him perfectly. Everybody acts what I call him for short...uhm? I names him Dechlan because I planned on calling him Dechlan. I can't stand it when people call him "Dec" if his friends want to call him that when he is older and he doesn't care then neither do I.
- Nicknames for Declan: | Edit
Dec, Dex, Deco, Deke, Dean, Deckie, Duck, Duckie, D, D-money
- Meanings and history of the name Declan: | Edit
Declan is the English version of the Irish name Deaglan. Deaglan originates from the Irish words dag "good" and lan "full" suggesting "full of goodness."
"man of prayer"
- Famous real-life people named Declan: | Edit
Declan MacManus, aka Elvis Costello, singer-songwriter
Actor Aiden Quinn's brother is named Declan
Declan Stump, newborn son of Patrick Stump, lead singer of Fall Out Boy, and his wife, Elisa Yao.
- Declan in song, story & screen: | Edit
Declan Coyne, a character on the TV series, Degrassi.
Declan Porter, a character on the TV series, Revenge.
Declan Dunn (Adrian Pasdar), main character on the PAX TV series "Mysterious Ways" 2000-2002.
Richard Gere's character was Declan Mulqueen in the 1997 movie "The Jackal"
Declan McDonough, a main character in the tv series Kyle XY.
Deklan Comstock, hereditary president and antagonist in "Julian Comstock: A Novel of 22nd Century America" by Robert Charles Wilson
Declan Kennedy, brother of protagonist Holly Kennedy in Cecilia Ahern's novel "P.S. I Love You"
Declan, main character in "Leap Year"
Declan Hawkes from Jennifer Fallon's Tide Lords