Dimitri: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Dimitri
Origin of the name Dimitri:
From the Greek Dēmētrios (of Demeter), which is from Demeter, the Greek mythological goddess of agriculture and fertility. The name is composed of the elements de (the earth) and mētēr (mother).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Dimitri? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Dimitri
- Comments and insights on the name Dimitri: | Edit
Dimitri is often anglicized by Greek-Americans as James (and so Jim and Jimmy), though the names are etymologically unrelated. The connection is presumably Dimi ~ Jimmy.
- Personal experiences with the name Dimitri: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Dimitri: | Edit
Dima, Mitya, Dimka
- Meanings and history of the name Dimitri: | Edit
Originates from the Ancient Greek Godess Demeter, the goddess of corn, grain, and harvest.
- Famous real-life people named Dimitri: | Edit
Dmitri Mendeleev, Russian chemist and the creator of the first version of the periodic table of elements
- Dimitri in song, story & screen: | Edit
Dimitri Belikov in the series Vampire Academy
Demetri Volturi in both the Twilight book series and movies