Donald: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Donald
Origin of the name Donald:
Anglicized form of the Gaelic Domhnall (world ruler), which is thought to be derived from the primitive Celtic Dumno-valo-s (world mighty). Alternatively, some believe the name to be derived from the Gaelic don (brown). Short: Don. Pet: Donny.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Donald? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Donald
- Comments and insights on the name Donald: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Donald: | Edit
Donald is my grandfather's name who was born in the 30's. Also my favorite Uncle's name who was born in the 60's. So the name to me sounds like an older man's name & the duck.
- Nicknames for Donald: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Donald: | Edit
Gaelic "World Ruler"
- Famous real-life people named Donald: | Edit
Donald Trump, businessman
Donald O'Connor, actor
Donald Tusk, President of Poland
Donald Glover, actor and rapper
- Donald in song, story & screen: | Edit
Donald Blake, original secret identity of Thor in Marvel comics
Donald Draper, character in TV show "Mad Men"
Dr. Donald Mallard, character in TV show "NCIS"