Edmond Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Edmond:
Derived from the Old English Eadmund (wealthy protection), a compound name composed of the elements ēad (prosperity, fortune, riches) and gar (a spear): hence, "spear of prosperity."
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Edmond? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Edmond
Contribute your knowledge to the name Edmond
- Comments and insights on the name Edmond: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Edmond: | Edit
My Mom has told me she associates the name with someone of a lower IQ and class.
- Nicknames for Edmond: | Edit
Ed, Eddie, Ned, Edmund, Edmi, Nemo
- Meanings and history of the name Edmond: | Edit
Anglo-Saxon Meaning: Wealthy defender
English Meaning:Prosperous protector
French Meaning: rich or happy, and protection
American Meaning:Prosperous protector
- Famous real-life people named Edmond: | Edit
Edmond Hilary, explorer; Dave Edmonds, singer songwriter
Edmond Rostand, French playwright and poet, best known for "Cyrano de Bergerac"
- Edmond in song, story & screen: | Edit
Edmond Dantes, the Count of Monte Cristo