Edward: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Edward
Origin of the name Edward:
Derived from the Old English Eadweard (wealthy or fortunate guardian), a compound name composed of the elements ēad (prosperity, wealth) and weard (guardian, protector). Edward is a royal name, having been borne by three Anglo-Saxon kings and eight kings of England. Currently, the name is borne by Prince Edward (b. 1964), the youngest son of Queen Elisabeth II and Prince Philip.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Edward? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Edward
- Comments and insights on the name Edward: | Edit
Edward is a handsome, classic name that has unfortunately been fouled by the Twilight fad.
- Personal experiences with the name Edward: | Edit
I went to school with a guy named Edward and many people mostly called him 'Eddie'.
He was a total jokester and is to almost never to be taken serious.
My adopted father's name was Edward and when my first son was born we named him after my father. My father loves to hold his namesake.
My father was given the middle name Edward as a way to honor his two grandfathers, Edwin and Edgar. It is my middle name and will be the middle name of our son if we have a boy.
- Nicknames for Edward: | Edit
Ed, Eddie, Ward, Ned, Ted, Neddie
- Meanings and history of the name Edward: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Edward: | Edit
Eight British kings
Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex
Edward Heath, British Prime Minister (1970-74)
Edward "Ted" Kennedy, senator
Eddie Van Halen, guitarist
Eddie Murphy, actor
Eddie Vedder, singer
Edward 'Bear' Grylls
Edward Norton, actor
e.e. (Edward Estlin) cummings, poet
- Edward in song, story & screen: | Edit
Edward Cullen is a main character of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series.
Edward Elric is the main character from the anime and manga series "Fullmetal Alchemist".
Mr. Ed is a talking horse character from TV.
Ed,Edd n Eddy is a popular television show that was on Cartoon Network.
Edward Ferrars is a character from "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. In the movie, Edward was played by Hugh Grant.
Winnine-the-Pooh is referred to as "Edward Bear"
Prince Edvard of Denmark aka Eddie in the "Prince and Me".
Edward "Eddie" Haskell was a character on the television show LEAVE IT TO BEAVER (1957-1963); the character was portrayed by actor Ken Osmond and is widely recognized as an archetype for insincere synchophants.
Meat Loaf played "Eddie" in the 1975 cult classic, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."
Name Lists Featuring Edward
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010