Elliot: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Elliot
Origin of the name Elliott:
Transferred use of the surname that originated as a diminutive of the Old French Ēlie, a cognate of the Hebrew Elijah (Jehovah is God). The name received a boost in popularity due to the central character in the popular movie E.T. Var: Eliot, Eliott, Elliott.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Elliot? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Elliot
- Comments and insights on the name Elliot: | Edit
I can't believe there are people who are using this name for girls. It's a gorgeous boy's name, but for a girl? NO WAY.
- Personal experiences with the name Elliot: | Edit
We have never had a bad experience... All I ever here anyone say is 'What a great name!'
My son is named Elliot. We call him "E" sometimes for short. We've only had compliments-- we gave him a name that is strong and that he can grow into.
Our oldest son is named Elliot. We were going to nickname him Eli as our original plan was to name him Elijah and we enjoyed the nickname. However Elijah is a very popular name and we discovered that Elliot was a Greek derivative of Elijah. However, we just call him Elliot. It was an easy name for him to learn to spell at just 2 years of age and most other children can say it with ease. We have only met 1 other Elliot who is in his 60's so it is not an overly popular name. We are always being complimented on his name and we feel it will be a great name or him as he grows into adulthood.
- Nicknames for Elliot: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Elliot: | Edit
I think it's an Anglicized version of Elijah.
Elliot is a Greek derivative of Elijah
- Famous real-life people named Elliot: | Edit
Elliott Smith- singer
- Elliot in song, story & screen: | Edit
Dr. Elliot Reid (played by Sarah Chalke), lead character in the American television comedy Scrubs
Elliot Stabler - Law and Order SVU detective
Elliot was the name of the dragon in "Pete's Dragon"
Elliot Moose (is my son's favorite)
Elliot was the little boy in "ET"
Elliot Murtaugh was the name of a character in the second "cheaper by the dozen" movie
Elliot Goldsworthy is a character in Degrassi
Name Lists Featuring Elliot
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010