Eric Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Eric:
Derived from the Old Norse Eirìkr, a compounding of the elements ei (ever, always) and ríkr (ruler): hence, “eternal ruler.” Var: Aric, Erick, Erik, Irricc.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Eric? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Eric
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2014
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (Italian)
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
- Andorran Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in Andorra 2014
- Catalonian Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in Catalonia 2014
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Andorran Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in Andorra
Contribute your knowledge to the name Eric
- Comments and insights on the name Eric: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Eric: | Edit
My boyfriends name is Eric :]
My favorite brother-in-law is 12 and this is his name. He's very intelligent and likes to be taken seriously. He'll show his fun and goofy side only around those he feels comfortable.
My brother's name is Eric. Mine is Erin. I think my parents thought it would be cute to match my name to his. He's 31, and I'm 26. He's incredibly intelligent, but he's also stubborn. He's one of those guys that everyone likes, really funny and a joy to be around. We always have issues when we're together and someone calls one of our names. We both end up responding, or saying, "which one?! girl or boy?!" The best part is that his wife is Karen, which is pretty much my name with a "k" at the beginning, so that makes things much more fun when we're all together, and someone calls for one of us. He went by his last name in high school and after, as many guys did at that time, but not because he disliked his name or anything. It was just what the guys did at that age. Anyway, I think it's a great name, and it suits him well. It's a good name to grow into, but it's still cute enough for a little boy.
- Nicknames for Eric: | Edit
Ric; Rick; Rik, E, Ricky
Er (pronounced "Air")
- Meanings and history of the name Eric: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Eric: | Edit
Eric Clapton, English guitarist and singer-songwriter
Eric Darius, jazz saxophonist
Eric Sevareid, American war correspondent
Erik Estrada, American actor (CHiPs)
Eric Staal, Canadian NHL hockey player
Eric Idle, British comedian (Monty Python) and writer.
Erik the Red, Viking explorer
Eriq La Salle, American actor ( ER)
Eric Burdon, English singer-songwriter (The Animals, War.)
Eric Bana, Australian actor.
Eric Spoelstra, Miami Heat headcoach
Eric Stoltz, American actor.
Eric Roberts, American actor.
Eric Dickerson, Pro Football Hall of Fame running back.
Eric Hayes, "Table for 12", father of sextuplets
Eric "EJ" Hayes, "Table for 12", sextuplet
Eric Choi, drummer for the band We Came As Romans
Eric Osborne, Canadian actor
Eric Dier, English defender for Tottenham Hotspur
- Eric in song, story & screen: | Edit
Eric and the Animals, band
Prince Eric, character in "The Little Mermaid"
Eric/Erec character in Chretien de Troyes's "Erec and Enide"
"Eric's Trip", song by Sonic Youth
Eric/Erik van der Woodsen, character in Gossip Girl series
Eric Northman, character in "The Southern Vampire Mysteries" by Charlaine Harris, and in HBO's "True Blood" TV series
Eric Forman; Name of the son on "That 70's Show" and also a doctor on "House"
Eric Camden, the minister/husband/dad on "7th Heaven"
Eric Cartman, antihero on South Park.
Eric Taylor, football coach on "Friday Night Lights" TV series
Eric Gitter, Ink from the X-Man comics