Fletcher Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Fletcher:
Transferred use of the surname derived from the Old French flechier (arrow maker), which is from the root flech (an arrow). The name originated in the beginning of the 13th century as an occupational name for a maker or seller of arrows.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Fletcher? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Fletcher
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria) 2014
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand 2014
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Queensland)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Fletcher
- Comments and insights on the name Fletcher
- Personal experiences with the name Fletcher
The entire time I was pregnant with my son, my grandfather called the unborn and unnamed baby "Fletcher" as a joke.
- Nicknames for Fletcher
- Meanings and history of the name Fletcher
Fletcher is an 'occupational' name; it means 'arrow-maker'.
- Famous real-life people named Fletcher
Fletcher Christian, British seaman who seized command of the HMS Bounty.
Fletcher Pratt, American science fiction and fantasy writer.
Fletcher Jones, Australian clothing manufacturer and retailer.
Fletcher Sibthorp, British artist.
Fletcher Webster, American Civil war commander.
Fletcher Henderson, American pianist, bandleader, arranger and composer, important in the development of big band jazz and swing music.
Fletcher Harper, 19th century American publisher and founder of Harper's Magazine.
Fletcher Bee-Jones (b. 2008), son of Canadian-American comedian, writer, producer, political commentator, actress, and television host Samantha Bee
- Fletcher in song, story & screen
Fletcher Reede, Jim Carrey's character in the movie "Liar, Liar".
I.M. "Fletch" Fletcher, fictional character featured in Gregory Mcdonald's mystery novels. The series was also made into films starring Chevy Chase.
Series of children books about a fox named Fletcher: "Fletcher and the Falling Leaves", "Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms" and "Fletcher and the Snowflake Christmas" by Julia Rawlinson.