Gil: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Gil
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Gil? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Gil
- Comments and insights on the name Gil: | Edit
In Spanish, Gil is a nickname for Gilberto and Gildardo.
- Personal experiences with the name Gil: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Gil: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Gil: | Edit
Gil is a Hebrew name meaning "Happiness."
Can also be used as a nickname for the Hebrew name "Gilead."
It is in an Anglo-Saxon context often a shorter version of Gilbert, the first part comes from gisil meaning “pledge”.
- Famous real-life people named Gil: | Edit
Gil Doron Reichstadt Ofarim (born August 13, 1982 in Munich, Bavaria) is a German singer, songwriter and occasional actor, currently also known as the lead singer of the bands Zoo Army & Acht.
- Gil in song, story & screen: | Edit
Gil Grissom, CSI (original one set in Las Vegas, NV)
Gil the fish, in the movie Nemo