Harry: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Harry
Origin of the name Harry:
Originally an English cognate of the French Henri (home ruler, ruler of an enclosure), Harry is now usually regarded as a pet form of Henry instead of the legitimate original form, and is also used as a pet form of Harold and Harrison.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Harry? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Harry
- Comments and insights on the name Harry: | Edit
in britain, it is sometimes a nickname for william
No it's not! It's a nickname for Henry! LOL!
- Personal experiences with the name Harry: | Edit
My son is named Harry James. He is named after his paternal great-grandfathers - Harold (his grandfather's dad) and Harry (his grandmother's dad). We chose Harry rather than Harold as it is more modern and can be a name in its own right these days.
- Nicknames for Harry: | Edit
Harry itself is a nickname - for Harold or Henry (or Harriet)- but more recently has become a name in its own right.
- Meanings and history of the name Harry: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Harry: | Edit
Harry S. Truman - 33rd President of the United States
Harry Connick, Jr. - American singer and actor
Harry Hamlin - American actor
Harry Reasoner - American journalist
Harry Wayne Casey - lead singer KC & The Sunshine Band
Harry Lloyd - English actor
Harry Danning - American baseball player
Harry Turtledove - American novelist
Harry Styles, 1/5 of One Direction
- Harry in song, story & screen: | Edit
Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived, The Chosen One
Dirty Harry (Callahan), character in movies played by Clint Eastwood
Harry Goldenblatt, warm and down-to-earth second husband of Charlotte York in the series "Sex and the City".
"I'm Just Wild About Harry", song by Eubie Blake and Noble Sissle
In Norwegian, "harry" is a derogative slang term meaning "cheesy, lower-class, or vulgar". It derives from the fact that in the early 20th century, English first names like Harry were popular among the lower class.
Harry Mason, novelist, main character of survival-horror video game "Silent Hill"
Name Lists Featuring Harry
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Harry
- #5 in England
- #16 in Wales
- #18 in Northern Ireland
- #32 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #33 in Australia (Victoria)
- #40 in Scotland
- #41 in Ireland
- #98 in Sweden
- #644 in United States