Hayden: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Hayden
Origin of the name Hayden:
Transferred use of the English surname derived from several place-names. It is from the Old English elements hēg (hay) and denu (valley); hēg (hay) and dun (hill); and hege (hedge) and dun (hill). Alternatively, the name is from the Irish Gaelic ÓhÉideáin and ÓhÉidín (descendant of Eideán or Éidín). The names are derived from éideadh (clothing).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Hayden? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Hayden
- Comments and insights on the name Hayden: | Edit
It's a pity that a few morons have given this name to girls.
I don't think it is a pity that a few "morons" have given this name to girls. I love gender neutral/androgynous names. Hayden is a wonderful example of a name that can be perfect for all genders. With the softish first syllable and the hard consonants in the second syllable, it is the best of both worlds. Relates to both Hayleigh and Haymitch.
A lot of people don't like this name in light of the "-ayden" trend for boys. It seems every phonetic combination is being placed before this suffix to create names that have no meaning or substance, and I get that. A lot of these names sound infantile, fake, and weak. In addition to this grievance, people feel there are too many spelling variations for these names, making these names annoying and nothing special. I get the "too gender neutral" argument, as well. These things being said, I feel that Hayden is an exception. It has been bestowed on people in the past and is a common surname as well. I feel it ages the best out of all these "-ayden" names and holds some legitimacy and masculinity. At least more so than the others. If I were going to go trendy, I would consider this name. With the "H", this "-ayden" name is passable and attractive.
In 20 or 30 years, this name will severely date the men named it and will be viewed as extremely characteristic of this decade. It's like Jason, Jennifer, Heather, and Corey were to the 80s.
- Personal experiences with the name Hayden: | Edit
My son is named Hayden and it fits him perfectly! It is unique enough where not everyone has the same name but not too out there. The only draw back is people sometimes think his name is Aidan and there are many popular names that rhyme with his (Aidan, Brayden, Kaiden, etc). But overall, most people compliment us and say that it suits his personality.
- Nicknames for Hayden: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Hayden: | Edit
Heathen or Fire (German)
- Famous real-life people named Hayden: | Edit
Hayden Christensen, actor (Star Wars Episode II & III)
Hayden Fry, college football coach
Hayden Paniettierre, actress (best known for television series Heroes and Nashville)
- Hayden in song, story & screen: | Edit
TV "Coach" Hayden Fox
Name Lists Featuring Hayden
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Saskatchewan), 2010