Hayden Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Hayden:
Transferred use of the English surname derived from several place-names. It is from the Old English elements hēg (hay) and denu (valley); hēg (hay) and dun (hill); and hege (hedge) and dun (hill). Alternatively, the name is from the Irish Gaelic ÓhÉideáin and ÓhÉidín (descendant of Eideán or Éidín). The names are derived from éideadh (clothing).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Hayden? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Hayden
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales) 2014
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria) 2014
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) 2014
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Saskatchewan), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand for 2012
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Queensland)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Hayden
- Comments and insights on the name Hayden: | Edit
It's a pity that a few morons have given this name to girls.
I don't think it is a pity that a few "morons" have given this name to girls. I love gender neutral/androgynous names. Hayden is a wonderful example of a name that can be perfect for all genders. With the softish first syllable and the hard consonants in the second syllable, it is the best of both worlds. Relates to both Hayleigh and Haymitch.
A lot of people don't like this name in light of the "-ayden" trend for boys. It seems every phonetic combination is being placed before this suffix to create names that have no meaning or substance, and I get that. A lot of these names sound infantile, fake, and weak. In addition to this grievance, people feel there are too many spelling variations for these names, making these names annoying and nothing special. I get the "too gender neutral" argument, as well. These things being said, I feel that Hayden is an exception. It has been bestowed on people in the past and is a common surname as well. I feel it ages the best out of all these "-ayden" names and holds some legitimacy and masculinity. At least more so than the others. If I were going to go trendy, I would consider this name. With the "H", this "-ayden" name is passable and attractive.
In 20 or 30 years, this name will severely date the men named it and will be viewed as extremely characteristic of this decade. It's like Jason, Jennifer, Heather, and Corey were to the 80s.
As a person with this name, I would like to say that I am disappointed in the people who give this name to their daughters. It is not a feminine name, and it doesn't make your daughters tougher. A few days ago, I met a girl named Jacob. It is not polite to the person named nor the people with the name already to cause gender identification issues. I'm not sexist or gender discriminatory, but it is intensely annoying for me whenever I meet someone with a situation like this.
- Personal experiences with the name Hayden: | Edit
My son is named Hayden and it fits him perfectly! It is unique enough where not everyone has the same name but not too out there. The only draw back is people sometimes think his name is Aidan and there are many popular names that rhyme with his (Aidan, Brayden, Kaiden, etc). But overall, most people compliment us and say that it suits his personality.
In school, I met a nice boy named Hayden. We were on a field trip together and we were doing a low ropes course. I was trying to step really far and ended up in a very unnatural runner's stretch position. He noticed and held my hand until I could finally move again. Later, on the bus, I smelled spray deodorant and a lot of it. I grew dizzy and Hayden made sure I was okay until we got back to school. He's a great kid! (By the way, this was all on the day we first met. You didn't see that one coming, did you?) :)
I also met a guy named Hayden at my school. He seems really nice and he's really quirky. Also, I have no idea how people think this is a sexy name, this dude is in middle school and I think he's cute because he looks like a little kid. I'm not even kidding though. He is like, pretty well rounded, funny, personable, not really 'manly', likes some more 'girly' things like fashon, and is really sweet (to his friends (not that he has any enimies)). He isn't usually shy around his friends but he's shy around me and my friends. He almost never does anything wrong and all the teachers love him. He's a great kid ;) It is annoying because he is in my health/gym class and there are 2 other guys named Cayden and Kayden so no one ever knows who we are talking about and I always start freaking out because someone will say Cayden and i'll think they say Hayden. Over all though, I love his name and If I ever need a random baby name, I'll chose Hayden :D
- Nicknames for Hayden: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Hayden: | Edit
Heathen or Fire (German)
From the hedged in valley - Old English
In Welsh the meaning of the name Hayden is: Fire. Derived from the Celtic name Aidan.
- Famous real-life people named Hayden: | Edit
Hayden Christensen, actor (Star Wars Episode II & III)
Hayden Fry, college football coach
Hayden Paniettierre, actress (best known for television series Heroes and Nashville)
- Hayden in song, story & screen: | Edit
TV "Coach" Hayden Fox
Main Character, Berkeley "Hayden" Mitchell in book Perfectly Scarred by DC Nixon