Hector Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Hector:
Derived from the Greek Hektōr (holding fast), which is from echein (to hold, to have). The name Hector is borne in the Iliad by a Trojan hero who was killed by Achilles to avenge the death of Patroclus, Priam's oldest son.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Hector? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Hector
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2014
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile 2010
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
- French Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in France
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
Contribute your knowledge to the name Hector
- Comments and insights on the name Hector: | Edit
Pronounced EK-tohr in Spanish.
- Personal experiences with the name Hector: | Edit
My younger brother was named Hector and l got teased SO much at school, l got angry with my Mum for her choice of name!
Bearing in mind, l was 7 at the time of my brother's birth, l remember pleading with my Mum to re name him- with a proper name!
- Nicknames for Hector: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Hector: | Edit
Hector, Tamer of Horses, the elder Prince of Troy from Homer's The Iliad
- Famous real-life people named Hector: | Edit
Hector Elizondo, American actor
Hector Bellerin, Spanish footballer for Arsenal FC
- Hector in song, story & screen: | Edit
Hector's House - a British children's cartoon in the 1970s. Always ended with a tagline that went: "I'm a xxxx old Hector" a different adjective every time.
Hector Scruggs (Hector the Dirt Collector), one of Xerxes Scruggs's brothers, a despicable character in the internet comic blog, "The Greasers of Hazzick Flats". At age ten, Hector's great ambition is to write the "Ultimate Dirty Book" when he grows up. He spies on people (and he sees and hears plenty) to get material for his stories. He gets beaten up a lot by people he's written about, but that fails to sway him. He causes an ungodly catastrophe at a wedding by standing up and announcing that the bride and groom should not be married because they both had the same father (which they didn't know, but it was true!), and gets beaten up and run out of town by the groom's buddies. Ends up in Florida, writing for scandal rags and publishing a few smutty books. He sends the scandal rags and books to the people he's written about (the names have been changed, but they know who they are!)