Henry: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Henry | Boys
Origin of the name Henry:
From the French Henri, from the German Heinrich, which is from the Old High German Haganrih (ruler of an enclosure), a compound name composed from the elements hag (an enclosure, a hedging-in) and rihhi (ruler), and from the Old High German Heimerich (home ruler), a compound name composed from the elements heim (home) and rik (ruler, king). The name, introduced by the Normans and borne by eight English kings, took the English vernacular form of Harry until the 17th century, when Henry became popular and Harry was used as the pet form.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Henry? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Henry
- Comments and insights on the name Henry: | Edit
I have a 2-year-old named Henry. I have loved the name since I was a teenager. It suits him very well and I think it's a classic, strong name that fits a child or adult. It has become more popular in the time since he was born, although I was always set on the name, so there was never any doubt as to what we would name him.
- Personal experiences with the name Henry: | Edit
Henry is the name of my 2 year old son. I have loved his name for many years and is suits him perfectly. Many people seem to love it, and we have received many compliments on it. For me, Henry is the perfect mix of regal classic and comfy favorite.
I'm in love with this name! It was a no-brainer for us as well and we have a wild, dashing little Henry who will soon be 2-years-old. Expected that if we used a nickname it would probably be "Hank" but have actually ended up calling him "Hen" more often than anything else.
- Nicknames for Henry: | Edit
Harry, Hank, Hal, Hens, Helo, Hen, Ry, Henz
- Meanings and history of the name Henry: | Edit
German for "ruler of the house"
- Famous real-life people named Henry: | Edit
King Henry I-VIII of England
Henry David Thoreau - American writer
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - American poet
Henry Ford - American founder of the Ford Motor Company
Henry Wrinkler - American actor
Henry Aaron - American baseball player
Henry Cavill - English actor
Henry Fonda - American actor
Henry James - American writer
Henry Bertram Price - Governor of Guam
Henry Clay- politician
Henry Louis Gates Jr.
- Henry Hill - gangster was the inspiration for "Goodfellas"
Henry Mancini - composer
Henry Flagler - American tycoon; founder of Miami, Florida
Henry Hathaway - American film director
Henry Miller - American writer
Henry Hynoski - American NFL football player
Henry Melton - American NFL football player
- Henry in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Dr. Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr. (Indiana Jones's real name)
- Henry Mitchell, the husband of Paige Matthews on the televison show "Charmed"
- Henry Mitchell-Matthews, the sonly son of Henry Mitchell and Paige Matthews on the televison show "Charmed", the eldest of his twin sisters; Posy and Pandora.
- Henry Tilney (Hero in Jane Austen's novel Northanger Abbey)
- Henry DeTamble (The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger)
- Henry Huggins (Beverly Cleary's series about Henry and about Ramona Quimby)
- Professor Henry Higgins (Shaw's Pygmalion/My Fair Lady)
- King Henry II (The Lion in Winter, Anouilh's Becket)
- King Henry IV (Shakespeare's Henry IV pts 1 and 2)
- King Henry V (Shakespeare's Henry IV pts 1 and 2 and Henry V)
- King Henry VIII (various)
- Iron Henry (Castle Waiting by Linda Medley)
- Henry (Engine #3 from Thomas the Tank Engine)
- "I'm Henry VIII, I Am," song by Herman's Hermits
- "Henry the Octopus" (The Wiggles' stage shows, tv show, songs, and movies)
- Henry and June, a book and movie based on the lives of literary figures Henry Miller and Anais Nin
- "Roll with Me, Henry", a song by Johnny Otis, Hank Ballard and Etta James, officially titled "The Wall Flower"; also known as "Dance With Me, Henry"
- Henry is the boy in some versions of "A Bicycle Built for Two," which include a response from Daisy to his proposal.
- 'There's a Hole in My Bucket': a conversational song between dear Henry and dear Liza.
- Uncle Henry, "The Wizard of Oz"
- Henry Alden, the oldest of four children in "The Boxcar Children" book series (originally) written by Gertrude Chandler Warner
- Henry Pym, secret identity of Ant-Man/Giant-Man/Goliath/Yellowjacket in Marvel comics
- Henry McCoy, secret identity of Beast in Marvel comics
- Henry Townshend, photographer, main character of survival-horror video game "Silent Hill 4"
- Henry LaMontagne, the Son of JJ (Jennifer Jareau) and Will from Criminal Minds
Prince Henry, in the 1998 film "Ever After"
- Henry Mills, in the TV show Once Upon a Time
Global Popularity of the Name Henry
- #34 in England
- #42 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #46 in Australia (Victoria)
- #78 in United States
- #80 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #116 in Canada (Alberta)
- #168 in Scotland
- #214 in Norway
- #305 in Canada (Quebec)