Horace: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Horace
Origin of the name Horace:
Derived from the Latin Horatius, an old Roman family name of uncertain derivation. Some think it is derived from the Latin hora (hour, time, period).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Horace? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Horace
- Comments and insights on the name Horace: | Edit
- Personal experiences with the name Horace: | Edit
- Nicknames for Horace: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Horace: | Edit
Of Latin origin, meaning "Hour in Time" or "Timekeeper".
- Famous real-life people named Horace: | Edit
Quintus Horatius Flaccus, Roman poet & satirist known as Horace in the English speaking world.
Horace Mann, American education reformer.
Horace Grant, American NBA power forward.
Horace Geeley, American newspaper editor known especially for his antislavery attitudes during the 1850s.
- Horace in song, story & screen: | Edit
Horace Rumpole, title character of John Mortimer's mystery series "Rumpole of the Bailey".
Horace Slughorn, a character in J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.
Horace Goodspeed, fictional character in the TV series Lost.
"Horace", novel by George Sand.