Isaac: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Isaac | Boys
Origin of the name Isaac:
The Ecclesiastic Greek form of the Hebrew Yitzchak (he will laugh), which is derived from yitshāq (laughter). The name is borne in the Bible by one of the three patriarchs, the son of Abraham and Sarah and progenitor of the Hebrews. Var: Isaak.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Isaac? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Isaac
- Comments and insights on the name Isaac: | Edit
Usually spelled the same in English & Spanish, so works well with Latino surnames.
The spelling is a bit of a thinker, but I think it's a good name.
- Personal experiences with the name Isaac: | Edit
My son is named Isaac, and I've discovered the name is prone to misspelling. (Even check out the section on famous Isaacs on Namipedia!) People know some letter is doubled, but pronunciation doesn't give them a clue to which one. Doubling the S rather than the A is the main error, but my son's Sunday School teacher once spelled it ISSACC.
I also name my son Isaac and have had a few people misspell it. But over all the little guy is only 2 and is exactly like what his name means, laughter. My husband like the name because it sounds strong and suitable for a boy and a man.
My son is named Isaac too. Family often forgot which was doubled S or A. So I said try to remember if the S is doubled it would be soft, Iss-ack. This seemed to help them.
- Nicknames for Isaac: | Edit
Ike, Zak, Izzy, I (eye), Zeke,Pumpkin-piesac, Little guysac
- Meanings and history of the name Isaac: | Edit
Sarah called her son Isaac, because when she heard that she was pregnant with a son, she laughed out loud - she couldn't believe it, because she was really old and was never able to get a child.
- Famous real-life people named Isaac: | Edit
Isaac, son of Abraham and Sarah in the Old Testament, father of Esau and Jacob
Isaac Newton, scientist who discovered gravity
St. Isaac Jogues, French Jesuit priest (1607-1646). He was martyred in present day New York state.
Isaac Asimov, scientist & science fiction writer
Isaac Hayes, musician
Isaac Brock, musician (Modest Mouse)
Isaac Hanson, musician (Hanson)
Kailyn Lowry's son, Isaac Rivera, from MTV's "Teen Mom 2"
- Isaac in song, story & screen: | Edit
Isaac Lahey, werewolf from MTV's Teen Wolf
Isaac, the bartender on "The Love Boat"
Isaac Mendez was a character of the TV show "Heroes" who could paint the future
Isaac is the name of a character in John Green's YA novel, "The Fault in Our Stars."
isaac chroner leader of the cult of the one who walks behind the rows in the children of the corn
Name Lists Featuring Isaac
- Norwegian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Norway
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Isaac
- #23 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #31 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #37 in United States
- #42 in England
- #43 in Australia (Victoria)
- #43 in Canada (Quebec)
- #50 in Canada (Alberta)
- #83 in Spain
- #104 in Scotland
- #270 in Norway