Jack: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Jack
Origin of the name Jack:
Originally a pet form of John (God is gracious) and Jackson (son of Jack), Jack is now often be-stowed as an independent given name. Pet: Jackie, Jacky.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jack? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jack
- Comments and insights on the name Jack: | Edit
Jack is a strong, masculine, handsome, simple, classic name for a baby boy. Pronounced Jack.
- Personal experiences with the name Jack: | Edit
A great friend of mine's name is Jack. He's a really awesome guy. I think that his name suits him very well. He recently became a father, which he is very good at. He's a really gentle, really sweet, really strong guy. I love him, and his name is great for him. *I have always really liked this name. :)
People always comment on my 4 year old Jack and his name. They think it sounds strong, successful, and attractive. I was given examples of Jack Kennedy, Jack Nicholson, (Pirates of Carribean-Jack, Jack from the TV show 24, Jack Abbott from TYoung&Restless). Most of my family and friends think it sounds cute for a young boy, high school star, college graduate, Professional later in life, and just as dominant as a Grandparent. As far as he as a child, his kiddo friends call him Jacky when they're outside playing..I call him everything--JackyLegs(from Kangaroo Jack), and every season has a nickname--JackRabbit at Easter, Jack Frost, Jack-0-Lantern...then of course, all his books....Jack&Jill, Jack and the Beanstalk, and the list goes on. So, all through life, it never sounds awkward--just strong, a leader, and ooozes attractive. ; )
My nephew's name is Jack Liam. Even though he is a bit of a devilchild, I still love this name.
The guy I like a lot is named Jack. I like his name as his name defines him as strong, a leader, attractive, tall, handsome and basically a great guy. I love saying his name...Jack
I have a 5.5 year old Jack. Love the name! Strong, simple, yet cool. I call him Jack Jack or Jack A Roni. Fun name for a fun kid.
- Nicknames for Jack: | Edit
Jacky, Jack-Jack, Jack-O-Lantern, Captain Jack, Jax/Jacks, Jackson, Jay.
- Meanings and history of the name Jack: | Edit
Meanings of the name "Jack".
God is gracious.
God is gracious. Fact: During the Middle Ages, Jack was so common that it was used as a general term for 'man' or 'boy'.
- Famous real-life people named Jack: | Edit
Jack "@ThatS0Jack"-- American internet personality
Jack Barakat -- Member of band "All Time Low"
Jack Paar -- American comedian, host of "The Tonight Show" before Johnny Carson
Jack Nicholson -- American movie actor
John "Jack" Fitzgerald Kennedy -- Former U.S. President
Jack Kirby -- Comic book artist (co-creator of Capt. America, the Fantastic Four)
Jack Johnson -- Singer
Jack Paris Brinkley Cook -- Son of Christy Brinkley and former husband Richard Taubman
Jack Montgomery McDermott -- Son of Dean McDermott and former wife Mary Jo Eustace
Jack Black -- American actor
Jack Fowler -- Guitarist for "Sleeping With Sirens" an American post-hardcore band
Jack William Jones -- one-fifth of the Jones quintuplets made famous on the TLC reality television show, Quints By Surprise. Parents are Ethan and Casey Jones. Older sister, Eliot McKenna. The rest of the quints are Brooklyn Faith, Britton Grace, Lila Addison and Ryan Elizabeth.
Jack Gilinsky -- Vine Star, Singer
Jack Johnson -- Vine Star, Rapper
- Jack in song, story & screen: | Edit
Captain Jack Sparrow -- Character in Disney's "Pirates of the Carribean" movies
Captain Jack Harkness, character in the BBC's "Doctor Who" and its spinoff "Torchwood"
"Captain Jack," song by Billy Joel
"Jack Straw," song by Grateful Dead
Jack the Ripper, serial killer in 19th century London, subject of many films, books, TV documentaries, and plays
Jack Dawson, male lead played by Leonardo DiCaprio in the film "Titanic"
"Jack and Jill," "Jack Sprat," Mother Goose rhymes
Jack Burnett, the cousin and best friend of Aaron Burnett, character in the book series "The Medallion of Franzek" by the Argentine writer Canela Lopez Fassón
Jack Dawkins, aka the Artful Dodger in Dickens' "Oliver Twist"
Jack Bauer -- Main protagonist in the FOX television series "24," portrayed by actor Kiefer Sutherland.
Jack Shephard, main character on "Lost," played by Matthew Fox
"Little Jack Horner," nursery rhyme
Jack and the Beanstalk," fairy tale
"Jack be Nimble," nursery rhyme
Jack McFarland, from the TV show "Will & Grace"
Jack Sawyer, from the book "The Talisman" by Stephen King
Jack Bristow, from the TV show "Alias"
Jack Skellington from "The Nightmare before Christmas"
Jack O'Neill from "Stargate: SG-1," played by Richard Dean Anderson
Jack Abbott, character on "Young and the Restless"
Jack Jackson, hero from the novel "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett
Jack, a feline character from Oggy and Cockroaches who is Oggy's short-tempered, violent & arrogant cousin.
Jack (Jackson) Swift, warrior and main character of "Warrior Heir" by Cinda Williams Chima
Jack Hotchner -- character in the CBS crime drama "Criminal Minds". He is the son of character Aaron "Hotch" Hotchner.
Jack Hodgins, a character on the hit FOX TV show "Bones"
Jack Reacher, protagonist in all Lee Child novels
Special Agent Jack (Jackson) Hudson, F.B.I. agent / unit leader from the TV series "Sue Thomas F.B.Eye"
Jack Tripper- character played by John Ripper on "Three's Company"
Jack, A robot character from Tekken games
John "Jack" Malone -- Character in the CBS crime drama "Without a Trace", portrayed by actor Anthony LaPaglia.
Name Lists Featuring Jack
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders)
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (British Columbia)
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Alberta)
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (British Columbia), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Saskatchewan), 2010