James: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name James
Origin of the name James:
From the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Iacomus, an evolution of Iacobus which is from the Ecclesiastic Iakōbos, a cognate of the Hebrew Yaakov. The name has its root in ya`aqob (supplanting, seizing by the heel). Some say Iacomus arises from an error in the transcription of manuscripts from the Greek to the Latin by an early monk. Short: Jim. Pet: Jamie, Jimmy.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a James? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring James
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (British Columbia)
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Alberta)
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (British Columbia), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (British Columbia) for 2013
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Alberta) for 2013
Contribute your knowledge to the name James
- Comments and insights on the name James: | Edit
Interestingly, James is the most popular given name amongst United States presidents: Six US presidents named James.
I think some credit can be given to the name itself: there is an immediate image of strength, quality, character and grace. Great name!
I've always planned on naming my first son James, but I'm terrified of people wanting to call him Jim or Jimmy. I much prefer the Scottish nickname Jamie or just J.
It's worth noting that when James is given as a middle name, a nickname may be created from the initials. BJ, TJ, JJ, AJ, RJ, CJ, DJ - I've heard all of these.
James sounds like a handsome, intelligent and soft-spoken name.
It's the perfect name for a man.
My boyfriend's name is James, and he has never gone by ANY other form of it. He has always gone strictly by James since he was given the name as a newborn. It is interesting when anyone who doesn't know this (usually a stranger
or someone he does not know well) will refer to him as, say, Jim or Jimmy; it usually takes me a moment to realize they are talking about HIM (my James) & not somebody else altogether! Too funny. He is at least the 2nd 'James' from my generation (appx. 30 years old now) I have known to never go by any 'bastardized' version of it. I personally am not a big fan of the pet forms much at all either & absolutely love the name James in its true form. I find it to be a beautiful classic boys name! :)
- Personal experiences with the name James: | Edit
My first and middle names are James Kenneth. My great grandfather used to call me Jake. Then I found out about another person also named James Kenneth who actually went by Jake. I'm not sure where that comes from, but at least I know now that my great grandfather wasn't crazy and there is some precedent to it.
Second name of Christopher and Theodore.
My younger cousin who is only seven is named James. He is the younger brother to three sisters, Hayley Marilyn and Danya.
My mom’s current boyfriend is named James. Most hard-headed, old-fashioned, gassy guy I know. And, yeah, that last bit sounds weird but he’s lactose intolerant and seems to forever consume dairy. He’s also kind of silent-but-deadly (personality wise), and likes to poke fun at people when the mood strikes him.
I know a handsome man named Kenneth James.
My son's name is James Harley (Harley was my grandfather's name). He's almost 8. He's never complained about his name, nor desired a nickname. His grandpa calls him Jimbo and he HATES it. He does say if he were to have a nickname he'd want it to be Jamie (he LOVES Mythbusters). He has a twin brother named Nathan, and a little sister named Sadie.
- Nicknames for James: | Edit
Jay, Jay-Jay, Jimbo, Jim-Jim, Jimz, JayBird, Blue-jay
- Meanings and history of the name James: | Edit
Of Hebrew origin, meaning "He who Supplants".
- Famous real-life people named James: | Edit
James Yammouni- Australian entertainer from The Janoskians
James David Rodriguez (Roday)- An American/Hispanic actor known for the television show "Psych." Which is the best show ever.
Jim Parsons - American stage ("The Normal Heart", "Harvey") and television actor ("The Big Bang Theory")
St. James the Just, author of the Epistle of James in the New Testament, and the first bishop of Jerusalem
St. James, son of Zebedee, apostle, brother of John the Apostle, sometimes called "James the Great"
James Madison - 4th president of the United States
James Monroe - 5th President of the United States
James Knox Polk - 11th President of the United States
James Buchanan - 15th President of the United States
James Abram Garfield - 20th President of the United States
Jimmy Carter - 39th President of the United States
Jimmy Stewart - American actor, Christmas movie classic - "It's A Wonderful Life"
James Edward Franco - American actor
James Augustine Aloysius Joyce - Irish novelist and poet
James Byron Dean - American actor
James Joseph Brown - American singer
James Maslow - Actor/Singer (Big Time Rush)
Jim Henson - American puppeteer
James Patterson - American author
James Vernon Taylor - American singer
James Francis Cameron - Canadian film director
Jamie Kennedy - American actor and comedian
James Paul Marsden - American actor
Jimmy Fallon - American actor and comedian
James William Van Der Beek - American actor
James Corden - English actor and writer
James Andrew McAvoy - Scottish actor
James Morrison - English singer
James Martin Lafferty - American actor
James David Maslow - American actor and singer
James Trevor "Jamie" Oliver, MBE - British chef, restaurateur and media personality
James Cassells, "droomer" for the band Asking Alexandria
James Hetfield- American singer from the band Metallica
James Lynch, guitarist of the band Dropkick Murphys
James Phelps - English Actor
- James in song, story & screen: | Edit
James Holloway, the name of a character in the popular Fictionpress series Blood, Stone, And Ice
James and the Giant Peach
The King James Bible
James Potter from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
James Sirius Potter (II) from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Sweet Baby James - James Taylor
James "Saywer" Ford, character on the TV series "Lost" played by Josh Holloway
James (Jamie) Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser, sexy hero of the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon
James T. Kirk, Star Trek, captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise
James Hook, Captain of the Jolly Roger, in Peter Pan
James Buchanan Barnes, Bucky Barnes, Captain America's partner (Marvel comics character)
James "Jim" Hawkins, young hero of the book "Treasure Island" and the Disney movie "Treasure Planet"
James Sunderland, main character from survival-horror video game "Silent Hill 2"
James Diamond, 'Big Time Rush'
James Rassmussen, a character from the Night World series by L.J. Smith
James is the name of one of the Epistles of the New Testament
DS James Hathaway, character in "Inspector Lewis"
James Moriarty is the villain in the Sherlock Holmes stories. In the modern BBC adaptation, he goes by Jim.
James Choke/Adams, the main character from the CHERUB series by Robert Muchamore.
James "Jem" Carstairs in Cassandra Clare's "The Infernal Devices"