Jamie: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Jamie
Origin of the name Jamie:
Originally a pet form of James (supplanting, seizing by the heel), Jamie is commonly bestowed as an independent given name. Var: Jaimey, Jaimie, Jamey.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jamie? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Jamie
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jamie
- Comments and insights on the name Jamie: | Edit
I like this name a lot more for a boy than for a girl. I find it endearing as a male name, but a little too masculine for a girl. It's very popular on the British Isles.
I think your right it is more masculine. I'm a girl and I have this name but I get called James a lot. I have three brothers so..... I fit in.
- Personal experiences with the name Jamie: | Edit
This is my 6 year-old son's name and it fits him perfectly - he's sweet, smart, and funny!
- Nicknames for Jamie: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Jamie: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Jamie: | Edit
Jamie Deen, son of cook Paula Deen and frequent guest on her Food Network shows; has starred in shows of his own as well.
Jamie Benn,Captain of The Dallas Stars in the NHL
Jamie Hyneman, star of The Discovery Channel show "Mythbusters."
Jamie Bell, actor, probably most well-known for his role as Billy Elliot in the film of the same name.
Jamie Campbell Bower- actor
- Jamie in song, story & screen: | Edit
Jamie Alexander Malcom Mackenzie Fraser, protagonist in Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series
Jamie, the youngest brother in Malcolm in the Middle
Jaime Lannister, (pronounced Jamie), Knight of the Kingsguard and major character in Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire series