Jeremiah: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Jeremiah | Boys
Origin of the name Jeremiah:
From the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Jeremias, a cognate of the Hebrew Yirmeyahu, a name derived from yirmeyāh (the Lord loosens, God will uplift). The name is borne in the Bible by a 6th- or 7th-century B.C. Hebrew prophet whose story and prophecies are recorded in the Old Testament book of Jeremiah.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jeremiah? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jeremiah
- Comments and insights on the name Jeremiah: | Edit
Name of a ghost, brought back with a Key.
- Personal experiences with the name Jeremiah: | Edit
Close relationship with Kayleen. Friend and company of Dane. Acquaintance of Christopher.
- Nicknames for Jeremiah: | Edit
Jerry, Jem, Jer, Jay, Jere, Miah, J.J., Jeremy
- Meanings and history of the name Jeremiah: | Edit
It is of Hebrew origin, meaning "the Lord Exalts".
- Famous real-life people named Jeremiah: | Edit
Jeremiah Duggar, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's eleventh child. They have nineteen children.
- Jeremiah in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog" -- song
Global Popularity of the Name Jeremiah
- #69 in United States
- #239 in Canada (Alberta)
- #318 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #408 in Canada (Quebec)