Jeremiah: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Jeremiah
Origin of the name Jeremiah:
From the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Jeremias, a cognate of the Hebrew Yirmeyahu, a name derived from yirmeyāh (the Lord loosens, God will uplift). The name is borne in the Bible by a 6th- or 7th-century B.C. Hebrew prophet whose story and prophecies are recorded in the Old Testament book of Jeremiah.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jeremiah? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Jeremiah
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jeremiah
- Comments and insights on the name Jeremiah: | Edit
Nice name for a boy. And he could be called Jerry for short.
- Personal experiences with the name Jeremiah: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Jeremiah: | Edit
Jerry, Jem, Jer, Jay, Jere, Miah, J.J., Jeremy
- Meanings and history of the name Jeremiah: | Edit
It is of Hebrew origin, meaning "the Lord Exalts".
- Famous real-life people named Jeremiah: | Edit
Jeremiah Duggar, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's eleventh child. They have nineteen children.
Jeremiah Rangel, former guitarist/singer of the pop-punk band Mest.
- Jeremiah in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog" -- song
"Jeremiah Johnson" -movie