Jesse: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Jesse
Origin of the name Jesse:
Derived from the Hebrew Yishai, which is from yīshai (gift, wealth). Var: Jessee. Short: Jess.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jesse? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Jesse
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders)
- Finnish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Finland
- Dutch Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in The Netherlands
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Finnish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Finland, 2010
- Dutch Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Netherlands, 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jesse
- Comments and insights on the name Jesse: | Edit
Jesse and Jessie are used as nicknames in United States and Mexico for males named Jesus.
I think the name Jesse is incredibly beautiful for a boy. It just sounds wonderfully sensitive yet strong. Gorgeous name.
- Personal experiences with the name Jesse: | Edit
My boyfriend's name is Jesse (I call him Jess). I think Jesse is a great name, but he doesn't like it. He's constantly getting asked "What is it short for?" and "Isn't that a girl's name?" My three-year-old nephew calls him 'Dessy'.
My 2 year old son is named Jesse (after Jesse Mcartney) he also has brothers named Carter & Aaran after aaron carter lol
My son's daddy's name is Jesse. Not the same Jesse as the above ones. He has a great heart. Some bad habits that effect how he acts in a negative way, yet I keep praying for him. He's so intelligent,talented, funny too.
- Nicknames for Jesse: | Edit
J (or Jay)
- Meanings and history of the name Jesse: | Edit
Jesse is a very old biblical name
"Jesse" means Gift
- Famous real-life people named Jesse: | Edit
Jesse Owens, American athlete who won four gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.
Jesse McCartney - American singer/actor
Jesse Eisenberg - American actor
Jesse Williams - American actor
Jesse Metcalfe - American actor
Jesse Bradford - American actor
Jesse Tyler Ferguson - American actor
Jesse Spencer- American actor
Jesse Becker - Gift Giver
- Jesse in song, story & screen: | Edit
Uncle Jesse from "The Dukes of Hazzard"
Uncle Jesse Katsopoulos from the TV show "Full House"
Jesse Tuck from the novel Tuck Everlasting
Jesse from "Free Willy"
Jesse Pinkman from "Breaking Bad"