Jesus Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Jesus:
Derived from the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Iesus, which is from the Ecclesiastic Greek Iēsous, a name derived from the Hebrew yēshū'a, a contraction of yehōshū'a (help of Jehovah, God is salvation). The name, an equivalent of Joshua, is bestowed in honor of Jesus Christ (c. 4 B.C. - c. A.D. 29), the founder of the Christian religion and son of God and the Virgin Mary, regarded by Christians to be the promised Messiah. Unlike most Christians, who decline to use the name Jesus out of respect, Christians in the Spanish-speaking world commonly bestow it to bring the bearer under the special protection of the son of God.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jesus? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Jesus
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2014
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile 2010
- Mexican Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Mexico 2013
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jesus
- Comments and insights on the name Jesus: | Edit
Teresa Norman's statement: "Unlike most Christians, who decline to use the name Jesus out of respect," is inaccurate. Many Christians throughout the world happily use His name ("Jesus") without any disrespect whatsoever, and they use it with reverence as they express their love for Him. In the Spanish-speaking world and indeed in many other languages, Jesus's name is used by non-Christians disrespectfully, as a swear word, and as a breach of the third commandment: "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold Him guiltless who takes His name in vain" (Exodus 20:7). Since this same Jesus is the Lord God, all who habitually take His name in vain will be held accountable by God.
- Personal experiences with the name Jesus: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Jesus: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Jesus: | Edit
Po trzech dniach wrocil do szkoly
- Famous real-life people named Jesus: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Jesus in song, story & screen: | Edit
Jesus of Nazareth son of Joseph and Mary.