Joel: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Joel
Origin of the name Joel:
A borrowing from the Ecclesiastic Late Latin, Joel is from the Ecclesiastic Greek Iōēl, a name derived from the Hebrew Yoel, which is from yō'ēl (the Lord is God). The name is borne in the Bible by a minor Hebrew prophet (5th century B.C.?) whose prophecies and preachings are found in the book of Joel.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Joel? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Joel
- Comments and insights on the name Joel: | Edit
My son's name is Joel. He is Spanish. People often pronounce it JOLE...I hate that!. He is JO-EL!
...It IS actually pronounced JOHL, not JO-EL...sorry!
...not in Spanish it isn't. In Spanish we pronounce both syllables.
- Personal experiences with the name Joel: | Edit
My husband's name is Joel. Whenever we give his name at restaurants, no one seems able to pronounce it. They generally try to call him "Joe-el" or use the silent j sound and say "ho-el". I'm not quite sure what is so difficult about it, but it's a common occurrence! Either way - it's a great name!
I've known several Joels in my life and each of them has been a wonderfully friendly, easy-going person. The name makes me smile.
My name is Joel and I could not regret having this name since it requires much effort to change it anyway.
Many times I had this uncomfortable feeling when I try to pronounce my name especially the "j" sound. Initially, I hardly pronounce my name when I was asked to introduce myself inside the class since elementary grade school years until college. Whenever I am asked to tell my name, I usually pronounced it "Ju-wel" not "Jo-wel". I feel un-easy when I pronounce it "Jo-wel" or "Jo-el".
My previous boss (Saudi national) used to call me "Joli" in the office. I wondered how he pronounced my name!
- Nicknames for Joel: | Edit
J, Jo, Bebo
My 9-month-old son's name is Joel...he gets called lots of names, Joelby, Joelie, Joelbert, Polie, Joelster. I don't like Joe, Joey, or JoJo, so we do not call him those.
Jo (holding the "o"),
- Meanings and history of the name Joel: | Edit
Joel Torre (a Filipino movie actor)
- Famous real-life people named Joel: | Edit
Joel Peat - Lead guitarist in the band Lawson
Joel Madden - American musician
Joel McHale - American actor and comedian
Joel Hodgson - American writer and actor
Joel McCrea - American actor
Joel Grey - American actor
Joel Carver Whitburn - American author
Joel Coen - American filmmaker; brother of Ethan Coen
Joel Schumacher - American film director
Joel Silver - American film producer
Joel Reinders - American football player
Joel Dreessen - American football player
- Joel in song, story & screen: | Edit
Joel Graham - Husband to Julia Braverman in "Parenthood"
Name Lists Featuring Joel
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Finnish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Finland
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Finnish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Finland, 2010
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (German), 2010
- Portuguese Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Portugal