Jon Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Jon:
Derived from the Middle Latin Johannes, which is from the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Joannes, which is from the Greek Iōannes. Iōannes is Derived from the Hebrew Yonatan, a short form of Yehonatan which is derived from yehōnātān (Yahweh has given). The name is borne in the Bible by the eldest son of King Saul. Var: Jonothan, Jonothon. Short: Jon. Pet: Jonnie, Jonny.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jon? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Jon
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Icelandic Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Iceland 2014
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain (Basque County)
- Icelandic Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Iceland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jon
- Comments and insights on the name Jon: | Edit
The Icelandic form is spelt Jón, and pronounced 'yone'.
- Personal experiences with the name Jon: | Edit
My cousin’s name is Jón, pronounced the Icelandic way (yone)
- Nicknames for Jon: | Edit
Jonny, Jonnie, Jónsi (Iceland), Nonni (Iceland), Jon-Jon
- Meanings and history of the name Jon: | Edit
Jon, Albanian baby name for boys. Jon meaning Ours, that is something that belongs to us, as well as Jonian Sea in Albanian pronounced Deti Jon.
- Famous real-life people named Jon: | Edit
Jon Cozart, Musician
Jon Stewart of "The Daily Show".
Jon Gosselin "Jon & Kate Plus 8" Father of sextuplets
Jon Bon Jovi - American musician who is the lead singer of the band "Bon Jovi".
Jón Þór Birgisson - Lead singer of the band Sigur Rós
Jon Voight - movie actor ("Midnight Cowboy", "Deliverance"); father of Angelina Jolie
Jon Eyman - An Australian fashionista
Jon Anderson, singer of the groups "Yes" and "Jon and Vangelis".
Jon Lord, late former organist of the band "Deep Purple".
Jon Walker, former bassist of American pop-punk band Panic! At The Disco and avid flip flop wearer
Jón Jósep Snæbjörnsson, lead singer of Í svörtum fötum and 2x Icelandic Eurovision contestant (2004 and 2012) who also sang the LazyTown theme song.
- Jon in song, story & screen: | Edit
Jon Snow, character in the series "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin and its television adaptation, Game of Thrones
Jon Stern, character on the TV series "Rectify"