Jonah Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Jonah:
Derived from the Hebrew yōnāh (dove). The name was borne by a Hebrew prophet famous for being thrown overboard in a storm and being swallowed by a great fish for disobeying God. He was deposited unharmed upon the shore three days later. His personal history is recounted in the Old Testament book of Jonah.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jonah? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Jonah
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jonah
- Comments and insights on the name Jonah: | Edit
Johan and Jonah are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Jonah: | Edit
We named our son Jonah in 2013. We have gotten nothing but positive feedback on the name, and it suits him well. The only negative for us is that it's often confused for the more commonly used "Noah."
We call our 4 year old Jones or Joe, his baby brother calls him "Dodo" (his attempt at Jojo). We've mostly had positive responses to his name and we like that it is somewhat unique.
I named my 3rd daughter Jona, I thought it looked more feminine without the "H" the name just stuck with me and I loved it so much and I hated every single girl name I heard the only name I liked was Jona. she's probably the only girl with the name but I wouldn't have it any other way! we call her Jo, baby J, and Joanie.
As long as you don't get "Where's the whale?"
My name is Jonah and I'm am a girl from the Unitef States. Yes Jonah with an h. I am currently 19. For those of you parents who really like this name for a girl. I can tell you that no one has ever laughed or made fun of my name. I was never picked on about my name and being a girl. I love my name and I have a twin brother who's name is Noah. :)
my nephews name is jonah.
- Nicknames for Jonah: | Edit
• We call our almost three year old named Jonah "JoJo" around the house. He is already growing out of it at school but I think it will remain a special family name.
• We call our toddler "Jones" as a nickname.
• A family friend of ours calls our two-year-old "Jonesy." But Jonah really isn't a nickname-type name.
• When my son was a toddler we called him JoJo (I still do as his mother!), but when he went to school kids began calling him Jo. It stuck, and it is what he goes by now!
• When my Jonah (now 11) was a baby/toddler, we often called him "JoJo." Eventually he came to prefer being called "Joey" and people always think it's cool to learn him name is actually Jonah and not Joseph.
- Meanings and history of the name Jonah: | Edit
Hebrew origin. Means "dove" and "peace."
- Famous real-life people named Jonah: | Edit
• Jonah (Hebrew prophet, Bible)
• Jonah Hill (American actor)
• Jonah Ray (American comedian)
Jonah Marais ( American Boyband Singer)
- Jonah in song, story & screen: | Edit
• Jonah Baldwin ('Sleepless in Seattle,' 1993)
• Jonah Haak, character in the Netflix series Degrassi: Next Class
• Jonah Hex (Western comic book antihero)
• J. Jonah Jameson (Spiderman comic series)
• Jonah (Character on A Haunting in Connecticut)
• Jonah Weston (Character in novel, Still the Song)
• Jonah Takalua (Summer Heights High and Jonah from Tonga)
Jonah Simms, a character from NBC's Superstore