Jonathan: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Jonathan
Origin of the name Jonathan:
Derived from the Hebrew Yonatan, a short form of Yehonatan which is derived from yehōnātān (Yahweh has given). The name is borne in the Bible by the eldest son of King Saul. Var: Jonothan, Jonothon. Short: Jon. Pet: Jonnie, Jonny.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jonathan? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Jonathan
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- Norwegian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Norway
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria, 2010
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark, 2010
- Norwegian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Norway, 2010
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Test Names
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jonathan
- Comments and insights on the name Jonathan: | Edit
Could go well with David, as David and Jonathan were best friends in the bible.
- Personal experiences with the name Jonathan: | Edit
My son Jonathan Dylan can be nick named JD, was named to honor my recently deceased father John and also to pay respect to my partners fathers love of Bob Dylan. We have taken fondly to calling our son JD. His uncle is David and like it says above, uncle David loves Jonathan :)
My grandson Jonathan is named for his father John David; Jonathan's older brother David is named for their grandfather David as well as for their father's middle name: thus David and Jonathan, as suggested above
My son's name is Jonathan Davis, nickname JD.
My son's name is Jonathan. He fits his name perfectly. It is the name of a true friend, and he is a friend to all.
My son's name is Jonatan. This spelling is common in some Spanish speaking countries. Of course, a related name would be Juan.
My oldest son is David Isaac and my youngest is Jonathan Aaron...hoping that they'll have a friendship like that of David and Jonathan in the Bible.
My father is Jonathan, named for his great-grandfather John and his grandfather Nathan. My middle son is named Jonathan for my Dad. We never shorten it or use nicknames.
- Nicknames for Jonathan: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Jonathan: | Edit
Jonathan is the Anglicized version of the Hebrew name "Yonatan." "Yo" is a shortened form of the name of God, and "natan" is Hebrew for "to give" so the name means "God has given" or "God's gift."
Jonathan is the name of several characters in the Bible, most notably King Saul's son, who was a devoted friend of the young David. The name Jonathan is often taken as symbolic of steadfast friendship and loyalty. Jonathan was taken up by English speakers as early as the 13th century, but was a rare name until the Puritans began to use it in the 17th century. In colonial New England Jonathan was such a common name around Boston in 1776 that the British called all American Revolutionary soldiers "Brother Jonathan". This nickname had the effect of causing Jonathan to go out of fashion, both in the U.S. and Britain, though it remained in quiet use. It was rediscovered in the 1940s as parents looked for an alternative to John, making the name popular again. (Although similar in sound, Jonathan and John are completely separate names, yet inevitable confusion of the two has produced Johnathan as a variant.) Jonathan entered the SSA top 100 in 1962, peaked at 15 in 1988, and continues to be in the U.S. top 25 names for baby boys.
- Famous real-life people named Jonathan: | Edit
Jonathan Good, WWE wrestler (Dean Ambrose)
Jonathan Lulich (Born 1984) Internet Entrepreneur, Web Developer & Music Producer http://lulich.info
Jonathan Swift (1667-1745), Anglo-Irish clergyman and writer (Gulliver's Travels)
Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758), one of the greatest American theologians
Jonathan Trumbull, 18th c. governor of Connecticut and adviser to General Washington
Jonathan Pryce, British actor
Jonathan Demme, filmmaker
Jonathan Richman, musician
Jon Bon Jovi, musician
Jon Stewart, comedian, and host of The Daily Show
Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Actor
Jon Gosselin, reality TV star
Jonathan Papelbon, pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies
Jon Lester, pitcher for the Boston Red Sox
Jonathan Sacconejoly, Youtube Personality
- Jonathan in song, story & screen: | Edit
Jonathan Lulich, Multiple Albums, (2008 - 2010) http://djsmooth.us
Jonathan Bower, character on the '80s sitcom "Who's the Boss?"
Jonathan Wild, central figure of Henry Fielding novel by that name (1743)
Jonathan Livingston Seagull, book written by Richard Bach in 1973
Jonathan Kent, Clark's father, in the Superman comic book