Joseph: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Joseph
Origin of the name Joseph:
Derived from the Hebrew yōsēf (may he add, God shall add). The name is borne in the Bible by a favorite son of Jacob and Rachel (GEN. 30), by the husband of the Virgin Mary and foster father of Jesus (MATT. 1), and by Joseph of Arimathea, a rich Jew and secret follower of Jesus, who helped take Jesus' body from the cross to prepare it for burial, and supposedly took the Holy Grail to England (JOHN 19).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Joseph? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Joseph
- Comments and insights on the name Joseph: | Edit
I really love the name Joseph, but I hate the abbreviation Joe!
Joseph is such a masculine, handsome name. And Joey is a cute nickname!
- Personal experiences with the name Joseph: | Edit
Hello. My Son, Joseph Alan was born on 2003. He is tall, beautiful, athletic, intelligent, and very popular at at school. He always has girlfriends-and NO ONE can make fun of his name! Don't name your boy a name that YOU like, but nobody else will...the boy-names out there right now are pathetic and sound feminine i.e. Jayden, Jaxxon, Aaiden, Braiden etc...Your little baby will be a MAN one day-so name him a manly name!! My other son is Robert.
Our son Joseph Matthew was born in 2007, we called him Joseph as we wanted something traditional and classic that would suit a baby and an elderly man (didnt want a pensioner lumbered with a daft name)!!! we call him Joe, Jo-Jo and Joey, i love the name and pleased we chose it!!!
- Nicknames for Joseph: | Edit
Jack, Jody, Joe, Joey, JoJo, Joss, Seppi, Jo, Seph
- Meanings and history of the name Joseph: | Edit
Of Hebrew origin, meaning "He will Increase," from Genesis 30:24: "And she called his name Joseph, saying: 'The LORD add to me another son.' "
- Famous real-life people named Joseph: | Edit
Joseph Gordon-Levitt, American actor
Joseph Fiennes, actor and brother of Ralph
Joseph "Joe" Jackson, Michael and Janet's father
Joseph "Joe" Biden, vice president of the United States
Joseph Heller, American writer
Joseph Campbell, inventor of Campbell's soup
Joseph McCarthy, US Senator
Joseph Lieberman, US Senator
Joseph Duggar, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's 7th child (they have 19 children)
Joseph "Joe" Sugg, YouTuber known as ThatcherJoe, brother of Zoe Sugg (Zoella)
Joseph Morgan, British actor
- Joseph in song, story & screen: | Edit
Joe Gargery, the blacksmith and Pip's loving and protective father-figure in Dicken's novel Great Expectation. (The loveliest character in literature!)
"Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" is a Musical written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice. The play is based on the biblical story of Joseph and his brothers.
St. Joseph, husband of the Virgin Mary in the Bible
Joseph 'Seph' McCauley- Main Character of Cinda Williams Chima's novel The Wizard Heir.
Name Lists Featuring Joseph
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011