Joseph Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Joseph:
Derived from the Hebrew yōsēf (may he add, God shall add). The name is borne in the Bible by a favorite son of Jacob and Rachel (GEN. 30), by the husband of the Virgin Mary and foster father of Jesus (MATT. 1), and by Joseph of Arimathea, a rich Jew and secret follower of Jesus, who helped take Jesus' body from the cross to prepare it for burial, and supposedly took the Holy Grail to England (JOHN 19).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Joseph? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Joseph
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales (2013)
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- English Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England
- Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Wales
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Joseph
- Comments and insights on the name Joseph: | Edit
I met the most beautiful man who has become my best friend, soul mate, partner, lover, etc. and when first introduced to me by others(family,friends) as JoJo/JoeJoe which didn't quite sound or feel right for me, I asked if his real name was JoJo, etc. or Joe. Upon hearing his real name of Joe I wondered aloud if he might mind me calling him Joe. I have always loved the name Joseph and Joe as well. Anyway our names said together beginning with his as Joe just sounded perfect, like my name had been waiting for his. I laughed that I some how new it would be him (My Joe) cause I always said things like ready to go joe? why so slow joe? time to go joe! etc. See we were always meant for each other. He is a truly precious blessing/gift I treasure daily! I love you My Joe!!!
I really love the name Joseph, but I hate the abbreviation Joe!
Joseph is such a masculine, handsome name. And Joey is a cute nickname!
I love the name Joseph. It's so easy to say and spell and hear and remember. Also, Joe, in my opinion, is the best nickname for a Joseph.
- Personal experiences with the name Joseph: | Edit
Hello. My Son, Joseph Alan was born in 2003. He is tall, beautiful, athletic, intelligent, and very popular at at school. He always has girlfriends (Despite only being 11) and NO ONE can make fun of his name (Unless they say it's too common!) Don't name your boy a name that YOU like, but nobody else will (You shouldn't let what others think get in the way)...the boy-names out there right now are pathetic and sound feminine (i know i'm being homophobic) i.e. Jayden, Jaxxon, Aaiden, Braiden etc...Your little baby will be a MAN one day-so name him a manly name!! My other son is Robert.
Our son Joseph Matthew was born in 2007, we called him Joseph as we wanted something traditional and classic that would suit a baby and an elderly man (didnt want a pensioner lumbered with a daft name)!!! we call him Joe, Jo-Jo and Joey, i love the name and pleased we chose it!!!
Okay, well, I know someone at my daughter's school named Joseph. He is, according to my daughter, sweet, nice, kind of quiet, cute, and VERY funny. She has a different insight, though, of him, since she is crushing on him. Even so, I've met him, and he is everything my daughter says he is. And, if you, my daughter, or Joe (that's his most common nickname-he has others) are reading this, just to let you know, I am fine with you dating. Sorry, if I embarrassed you, but you have my permission Joe.
- Nicknames for Joseph: | Edit
Jack, Jody, Joe, Joey, JoJo, Joss, Seppi, Jo, Seph, Jose, Joker, Johomo
- Meanings and history of the name Joseph: | Edit
Of Hebrew origin, meaning "He will Increase," from Genesis 30:24: "And she called his name Joseph, saying: 'The LORD add to me another son.' "
- Famous real-life people named Joseph: | Edit
Joseph Gordon-Levitt, American actor
Joseph "Joe" Trohman, lead guitarist for the band Fall Out Boy
Joseph Fiennes, actor and brother of Ralph
Joseph "Joe" Jackson, Michael and Janet's father
Joseph "Joe" Biden, vice president of the United States
Joseph Heller, American writer
Joseph Campbell, inventor of Campbell's soup
Joseph McCarthy, US Senator
Joseph Lieberman, US Senator
Joseph Duggar, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's 7th child (they have 19 children)
Joseph "Joe" Sugg, YouTuber known as ThatcherJoe, brother of Zoe Sugg (Zoella)
Joseph Morgan, British actor, plays Niklaus Mikaelson in the CW Network Shows The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. Also plays Lysander in the 2011 film, Immortals.
- Joseph in song, story & screen: | Edit
Joe Gargery, the blacksmith and Pip's loving and protective father-figure in Dicken's novel Great Expectation. (The loveliest character in literature!)
"Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" is a Musical written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice. The play is based on the biblical story of Joseph and his brothers.
St. Joseph, husband of the Virgin Mary in the Bible
Joseph 'Seph' McCauley- Main Character of Cinda Williams Chima's novel The Wizard Heir.
Joseph Armstrong from Light From Heaven by Christmas Carol Kauffman
Joseph Quiner from The Little House series