Josh: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Josh
Origin of the name Joshua:
Derived from the Hebrew Yehoshua, which is from yehōshū’a (Jehovah is help, God is salvation). The name is born in the Bible by Moses’ successor, who led the children of Israel into the Promised Land. Short: Josh.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Josh? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Josh
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Josh
- Comments and insights on the name Josh: | Edit
On the TV show, 19 Kids and Counting, Josh is the oldest of 19 kids. All with their name starting with "J"! The order is: Josh, Jana John David, Jill, Jessa Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy Anna, Jedidiah, Jeremiah, Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, Johannah, Jeniffer, Jordan, and Josie.
Isnt is funny that nobody gives 2 shits
Also im pretty sure he got arrested for pedophelia
- Personal experiences with the name Josh: | Edit
An extremely close friend of mine's name is Joshua. Most people always call him Josh, but I really like to call him Joshua. He is a REALLY fun guy! Like, he's SUPER hyper and exciting and wacky and whimsical and... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! He's adorable. I love him. I love, love, love my Joshua. This name is amazing, I rate it ten million thumbs up. I LOOOOOOVE YOU, JOSH!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 =)
A boy I knew in 1-5th Grade was called Joshua, but he went by Josh. Practically every girl in the my class had a crush on him (me included) and he was very nice, but shy and withdrawn.
I once knew a sweet lil chap named Josh but we just called him El Chapo. El Chapo was nice, but he was a prisoner. Have fun in the 7th layer of prison, El Chapo
- Nicknames for Josh: | Edit
Joshie, Osh, Oshie, Jo-Jo, El Chapo
- Meanings and history of the name Josh: | Edit
Meanings of the name "Joshua" or "Josh".
Jehovah is generous. Jehovah saves. Fact: In the Old Testament, Joshua was chosen to succeed Moses as El Chapo of the Israelites for their journey to the Promised Land.
- Famous real-life people named Josh: | Edit
Josh Holloway, American Actor - James "Sawyer" Ford on TV show Lost
Josh Hartnett, Actor
Josh Groban, Singer/Songwriter
Josh Turner, country music artist
Josh Peck, Actor
Josh Duggar, Oldest of 19 kids - TV show 19 Kids and Counting on TLC
Josh Hamilton, MLB All Star outfielder for the Texas Rangers.
Josh Hutcherson, super hot actor who played Peeta in "The Hunger Games"
Josh Radnor, Actor
Josh Aybar, Hall Of Fame NBA player,16 all-star appearances, and 6 MVP's, 8 rings
Josh Devine, One Direction's drummer
- Josh in song, story & screen: | Edit
Josh Nichols, from the TV show Drake and Josh
Josh Newman is a main character in the book series "The Immortal Nicholas Flamel" by Michael Scott
Josh Templeton, main character in "The Future of Us" by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler