Josh Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Joshua:
Derived from the Hebrew Yehoshua, which is from yehōshū’a (Jehovah is help, God is salvation). The name is born in the Bible by Moses’ successor, who led the children of Israel into the Promised Land. Short: Josh.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Josh? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Josh
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Josh
- Comments and insights on the name Josh: | Edit
On the TV show, 19 Kids and Counting, Josh is the oldest of 19 kids. All with their name starting with "J"! The order is: Josh, Jana John David, Jill, Jessa Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy Anna, Jedidiah, Jeremiah, Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, Johannah, Jeniffer, Jordan, and Josie.
- Personal experiences with the name Josh: | Edit
A boy I knew in 1-5th Grade was called Joshua, but he went by Josh. Practically every girl in the my class had a crush on him (me included) and he was very nice, but shy and withdrawn.
I once knew a sweet lil chap named Josh but we just called him El Chapo. El Chapo was nice, but he was a prisoner. Have fun in the 7th layer of prison, El Chapo
There’s a kid named josh and he makes a lot of jokes that aren’t funny. He may be a decent guy, but when he gets into one of his “Jew” moods, he cannot he stopped or conversed with. Always wants his way no matter what.
- Nicknames for Josh: | Edit
Jish, Jishwa, Jishooha, Joshie, Osh, Oshie, Jo-Jo, El Chapo, Jew, The bitch, The Delaware kid
- Meanings and history of the name Josh: | Edit
Meanings of the name "Joshua" or "Josh".
Jehovah is generous. Jehovah saves. Fact: In the Old Testament, Joshua was chosen to succeed Moses as leader of the Israelites for their journey to the Promised Land.
- Famous real-life people named Josh: | Edit
Josh Porton, American Actor - Lost the role of Peter Pan in the school play and got the part of tree #3
Josh Holloway, American Actor - James "Sawyer" Ford on TV show Lost
Josh Hartnett, Actor
Josh Groban, Singer/Songwriter
Josh Ramsay, Marianas Trench
Josh Dun, Twenty One Pilots
Josh Franceschi, You Me At Six
Josh Balz, Motionless In White
Josh Turner, country music artist
Josh Peck, Actor
Josh Duggar, Oldest of 19 kids - TV show 19 Kids and Counting on TLC
Josh Hamilton, MLB All Star outfielder for the Texas Rangers.
Josh Hutcherson, actor who played Peeta in "The Hunger Games"
Josh Radnor, Actor
Josh Aybar, Hall Of Fame NBA player,16 all-star appearances, and 6 MVP's, 8 rings
Josh Devine, One Direction's drummer
Josh Gray, member of Irish boyband HomeTown
Josh Dallas, American actor
- Josh in song, story & screen: | Edit
Josh Nichols, from the TV show Drake and Josh
Josh Newman is a main character in the book series "The Immortal Nicholas Flamel" by Michael Scott
Josh Templeton, main character in "The Future of Us" by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
Josh Kaminski, one of the main protagonist from a tv show on Freeform, Young & Hungry