Joshua: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Joshua | Boys
Origin of the name Joshua:
Derived from the Hebrew Yehoshua, which is from yehōshū’a (Jehovah is help, God is salvation). The name is born in the Bible by Moses’ successor, who led the children of Israel into the Promised Land. Short: Josh.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Joshua? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Joshua
- Comments and insights on the name Joshua: | Edit
We always teased my brother bc he was not joshing.
I went to school with a guy named Joshua. He happened to be one of the most popular guys at school and a jock. So, this name always makes me think of the preppy, athletic prom king type.
My brother's name is Joshua, and he always insists on Joshua, not Josh. He's a very sweet and loveable man, and a very protective older brother.
- Personal experiences with the name Joshua: | Edit
My husband's name is Joshua, and I love his name. I've always envisioned the name Joshua as a name that carries youth, strength, and intelligence, not to mention attractiveness.
My husband's name is also Joshua. He's 26, so, born in the 80's. I LOVE his name also, even if it is fairly popular. It will be one of our son's middle names.
Most Joshuas I know are cute and players.
My brother's name is Joshua, and he always insists on Joshua, not Josh. He's a very sweet and loveable man, and a very protective older brother. Despite other comments on Joshuas being preppy, athletic, "players," my brother is shy around women and more of a clown than a prep.
I always used to think the name Joshua didn't look right. You know, with the "h" usually at the end of "a" names for boys, like Jeremiah or Noah... But then now I think "Joshuah" doesn't look right. Too many "h's" close together.
- Nicknames for Joshua: | Edit
Josh, Joshie, Joshiwashiwa, J.W.-(Joshua William), Joshie Squashie, Bosh, Jawsh, Jersh. Joshy
- Meanings and history of the name Joshua: | Edit
hebrew name,means john, jesus
- Famous real-life people named Joshua: | Edit
Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain the hero at Little Round Top at the battle of Gettysburg, was originally born in Maine and a professor of rhetoric at Bowdoin College. Eventually he was promoted to Brig. Gen. and was given the honor by Gen. Grant to command the troops that accepted the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox. After the war he became the Governor of Maine and President of Bowdoin College.
Joshua Jackson (Dawson's Creek actor)
Joshua Bell, Violinist
Joshua Redman, Jazz Saxophonist
Joshua Radin, Singer/Songwriter
Joshua davies photographer
Joshua Cribbs, NFL player, Cleveland Browns
Joshua Applestone, butcher, Fleisher's Grassfed and Organic Meats
Joshua Moore, guitarist for the band We Came As Romans
- Joshua in song, story & screen: | Edit
The Joshua tree-U2
Name Lists Featuring Joshua
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (British Columbia)
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Alberta)
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Ontario)
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Joshua
- #3 in Canada (Ontario)
- #3 in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- #4 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #4 in Australia (Victoria)
- #4 in Canada (Alberta)
- #4 in England
- #4 in United States
- #4 in Wales
- #5 in New Zealand
- #6 in Northern Ireland
- #8 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #21 in Scotland
- #27 in Ireland
- #74 in Germany
- #89 in Canada (Quebec)
- #369 in Norway