Julien Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Julien:
From the Latin Julianus, which is a derivative of Julius, and old Roman family name thought to be derived from Iulus (the first down on the chin, downy-bearded). Because a person just beginning to develop facial hair is young, “youth” became an accepted meaning of the name.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Julien? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Julien
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) 2014
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Julien
- Comments and insights on the name Julien: | Edit
I know someone named julien, he comes off as very shy and closed off but once you get to know him you can't stop laughing. He has a very good heart, is amazing with children and is extremely passionate. Julien is a very well rounded gentlemen and anyone who meets him is sure to love him.
- Personal experiences with the name Julien: | Edit
My brother's name is Julien. It's pretty common in France, which is where my family is from, but i have yet to hear it in the US. But he turned out well.
My best friend is a GIRL named Julien. She hates it, I think it's pretty although it's very masculine. Sometimes she meets a guy named Julien and it's uncomfortable. She goes by Julesy, though, which I think is really pretty and fun and describes her personality.
- Nicknames for Julien: | Edit
Juju, Jujubee, Joobs, Jules
- Meanings and history of the name Julien: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Julien: | Edit
Julien Doree, French singer
Julien Josephson, American screenwriter
Julien Lahaut, Belgian politician and political activist
Julien Leclercq, French poet and art critic
Julien Temple, English documentary, film, and music video director
Julien Duvivier, French film director
- Julien in song, story & screen: | Edit
King Julien, the lemur in Madagascar.