Keegan: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Keegan
Origin of the name Keegan:
Transferred use of the Anglicized surname, which is from MacAodhagáin (son of Aodhagán). The name Aodhagán is a diminutive form of Aodh (fire); hence, "little fire."
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Keegan? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Keegan
- Comments and insights on the name Keegan: | Edit
For the majority of my life I had never heard another person named Keegan. It was unique though no one could pronounce it properly. I'd often get "Kay-gahn" or "Keh-gain". I think its worth mentioning though, one year on my city basketball team there were four kids with the name Keegan including me. The first time I had ever heard it until then, and there were four of us!
This is definitely a boy's name. Why do people feel the need to leech boy's names for their daughters.? There are plenty of girl's names out there. It's unfair for the parents who want to give their boy's strong masculine names, because those names have now been turned into 'girl' names. Keegan is totally masculine. Please don't give your daughter this name.
You CAN name a girl FRANK if you want but it isn't very feminine. Whenever I hear of people naming thier baby girls boys names (like Keegan, Aiden, etc...) I always feel bad for them, its as if the parents really wanted a boy :(
The name definitely could be used for both genders. Keegan, to me, is a more masculine name rather than feminine. The name means "little fiery one" which would be more so for a boy, than girl. It's like the kick everyone was on after the movie "Splash," in naming their baby girls "Madison". Yes Madison is a very cute name, however it simply means: "son of Maude" ??? I would want more of a meaning behind my daughters name than just being cute. However, that is my prerogative and to each their own.
I never heard of the name before choosing it for our son in 2006. We found it in a baby name book. I loved the meaning, plus it wasn't common. Now that I've named my son Keegan, though, and he's had the name for 5 years I come across other people who know other boys with that name - but I haven't met one personally. I think it's a comfortable name since people have heard it before, but it's not overused.
I know two boys with this name. One spells it Keegan, the other Keagan.
I always thought the names Keegan and Adrian worked well together, but I don't know why.
- Personal experiences with the name Keegan: | Edit
Even though it may be a mans name isn't it ironic that I have never heard a man with this name. I know quite a few girls with this name. Seriously if the name fits what does it matter if it's supposed to be for boys or girls. That's why my daughter is named Keegan Joshua, and my son is named Isabelle Liliana Rosalie.
- Nicknames for Keegan: | Edit
- My parents used to (and sometimes still do.. 21 years later..) call me KeegyBear. I dont know why, but the way its said just sounds really affectionate. It hit's the ear in just the right way that its something that you could call your child a lot. Truth be told, until i was 5 or 6ish I thought my name was KeegyBear because of how often my parents called me it.
I call my Keegan Keeger mouse, Keegers, Keeg, Keg'er or (the Keg'er)
* Most common is Keeg. Me and the youngest will also call him Keegie, which is cute and I'm sure he'll make us stop one day. My dad calls him Kegger.
Kee or Key
I call my son Keegan: Keegie, or Kee Bee. My dad calls him Keeg'ers
- Meanings and history of the name Keegan: | Edit
Gaelic meaning little firey one.
- Famous real-life people named Keegan: | Edit
Keegan Bradley- professional golfer (2011 PGA Champ)
- Keegan in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!