Kjartan Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Kjartan? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Kjartan
Contribute your knowledge to the name Kjartan
- Comments and insights on the name Kjartan: | Edit
This name, pronounced KYAR-tən, was the 33rd most common name amongst Icelandic males in 2007, and the joint-24th most common amongst those aged 4 and under.
- Personal experiences with the name Kjartan: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Kjartan: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Kjartan: | Edit
Kjartan is a shortening of Mýrkjartan, which is a Norse appropriation of the Irish name Muirchertach, meaning 'mariner'.
- Famous real-life people named Kjartan: | Edit
Kjartan Sveinsson - keyboardist with Sigur Rós
- Kjartan in song, story & screen: | Edit
Kjartan Ólafsson - hero of the Laxdæla saga