Lachlan: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Lachlan
Origin of the name Lachlan:
Derived from the Gaelic laochail (war-like), which is from the root laoch (war, strife). Alternatively, it may be from the Irish Lochlainn (Lakeland, Fiordland), a name that originated from the name the Irish used for the native home of the Norse invaders. Var: Lachann, Lachlann.
Lachie, Lochlan, Lockie
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Lachlan? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Lachlan
- Comments and insights on the name Lachlan: | Edit
Very popular in Australia, but not here in the states
- Personal experiences with the name Lachlan: | Edit
I have a friend named Lachlan. It's a cute name :)
I babysat a little red head boy named Lacklan and fell in love with this name. He just goes my Lock most of the time and it's absolutely adorable.
- Nicknames for Lachlan: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Lachlan: | Edit
Lochlainn means "Of the lake" / "from the land of lakes", a reference to Norway which was called Lochlann in Scotland. Thus, it used to refer to a Viking ancestor. As well as referring specifically to Norway, Lochlainn was also the name of a remote place in Irish fairy tales.
The word Laochail was also used in Gaelic to mean Warlike. In this sense, Lachlan may mean "bellicose" or "belligerent".(reference Wikipedia.com)
- Famous real-life people named Lachlan: | Edit
Lachlan Tyler, son of 10th American President John Tyler
- Lachlan in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!
Global Popularity of the Name Lachlan
- #3 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #6 in Australia (Victoria)
- #22 in New Zealand
- #153 in Scotland
- #239 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #306 in Canada (Alberta)