Linus Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Linus? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Linus
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden 2014
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany 2014
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (German), 2010
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden for 2012
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
Contribute your knowledge to the name Linus
- Comments and insights on the name Linus: | Edit
Gaining popularity in England, but still rare in the U.S.
Pronouned LINE-us in English, but LEEN-oos in German, Swedish, and several other European languages.
The French form is Lin, pronounced LAH with a nasal vowel sound.
The Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese form is Lino, pronounced LEEN-oh.
Linus and Sunil are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Linus: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Linus: | Edit
Liney, Link, Line
- Meanings and history of the name Linus: | Edit
Linus means "flax" in Greek, possibly indicating someone who was blond or flaxen-haired. Some sources say it is Etruscan for "one who mourns."
- Famous real-life people named Linus: | Edit
St. Linus, the second pope
Linus Torvalds, the inventor of Linux
Linus Pauling, scientist, father of molecular biology, Nobel Prize winner
Linus "Lonny" Frey, American Major League Baseball second baseman/shortstop.
- Linus in song, story & screen: | Edit
In Greek mythology, Linus was the son of Apollo, and a talented musician on the lyre. He gave music lessons to Hercules, who killed him with his own lyre when Linus reprimanded him for a mistake.
Linus Van Pelt, Charlie Brown's friend in "Peanuts"
Linus Larrabee, character in the film "Sabrina" who ends up marrying the heroine. He is played by Humphrey Bogart in the original version and Harrison Ford in the remake.
Ben Linus is a character on the TV series "Lost."