Magnus Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Magnus:
Derived from the Latin magnus (great, large). The name has been borne by seven kings of Norway and three kings of Sweden,
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Magnus? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Magnus
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark
- Norwegian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Norway
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark, 2010
- Norwegian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Norway, 2010
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark for 2012.
- Norwegian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Norway for 2012
- Icelandic Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Iceland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Magnus
- Comments and insights on the name Magnus: | Edit
The Icelandic version is spelt Magnús and pronounced MAHG-noose. In 2007 it was the 7th most common name amongst Icelandic males.
- Personal experiences with the name Magnus: | Edit
^^i will marry whoever posted this
- Nicknames for Magnus: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Magnus: | Edit
From latin 'magnus' = 'great'
very poplular in Norway
- Famous real-life people named Magnus: | Edit
Saint Magnus, a pacifistic 11th century Viking earl of Orkney
HH Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway
HRH Crown Prince Haakon Magnus of Norway
son of Will Ferrell
Magnus Magnusson - former presenter of Mastermind and translator of Icelandic sagas
- Magnus in song, story & screen: | Edit
Magnus Chase, protagonist in Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase and The Gods of Asgard
Magnus Bane, the High Warlock of Brooklyn, is a character in Cassandra Clare's book series The Mortal Instruments. He is also in the prequel trilogy, The Infernal Devices.
Dr. Helen Magnus, played by Amanda Tapping, was the main character of the SyFy TV series Sanctuary.
Magnus Honey from Roald Dahl's Matilda