Mario Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Mario? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Mario
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
- Italian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Italy
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile 2010
- Bolivian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Bolivia
- Portuguese Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Portugal 2012
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Mario
- Comments and insights on the name Mario: | Edit
Moira and Mario are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Mario: | Edit
My dad's name is Mario
It's my cousin's name and it really suits him.
My best friend is named Mario! He's from Chile and is such an amazing man! From every Mario I've met, they are so so so sweet, crazy, funny, and all around amazing. I love the name! Since I'm also Hispanic, if I ever were to have a baby boy, Mario would be his name. It's my favorite Hispanic boy name.
As there's that one saying on IG, Facebook, and pretty much every fucking where that's like "Don't be racist, be like Mario. He's an Italian plumber who was created by Japense people, who speaks English, who looks Mexican, jumps like a black man, and grabs coins like a Jew.". Pretty much narrows it down to MARIO IS A FUCKING BEAST NAME.
My oldest is named Mario. I love the name. Hands down, describes such a playful and bubbly personality. Definitely recommend if a name on your list. It's loved practically by every culture ( ;
- Nicknames for Mario: | Edit
Mario Bros, Mari, MA-MA, Rio, Mari-Hoe
- Meanings and history of the name Mario: | Edit
Roman family name which was derived either from MARS, the name of the Roman god of War, or else from the Latin root mas, maris meaning "male". Gaius Marius was a famous Roman consul of the 2nd century BC. Since the start of the Christian era, it has occasionally been used as a masculine form of MARIA.
- Famous real-life people named Mario: | Edit
Mario Lanza, opera singer
Mario Andretti, race car driver
Mario Moreno "Cantinflas", Mexican comic actor
Mario Kreutzberger, real name of entertainer Don Francisco
Mario Lopez, actor and entertainer
Mario Batali, chef
Mario Pei, linguist
Mario Vargas Llosa, Peruvian author.
Mario Minniti, Italian painter
Mario Puzo, author of The Godfather
Mario Barrett, an R&B singer who goes by simply Mario
Mario Manningham, an NFL player
Mario Lemieux, NFL player
Mario Monti, former prime minister of Italy
Mario Draghi, President of the European Central Bank
Mario Götze,German footballer and the scorer of the winning goal at the 2014 wc
Mario Gomez,German footballer
Mario Selman, Social Media (Musical.LY, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube)
- Mario in song, story & screen: | Edit
Portrait of Mario Varvogli, famous painting by Amedeo Modigliani
Mario from Super Mario games
Mario, a character from the 1976 thriller The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
Mario Auditore, from the video game Assassin's Creed II
Mario, the main character of the manga Mario by Masashi Kishimoto
Mario Andretti #11 from the Pixar franchise Cars