Mark: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Mark
Origin of the name Mark:
English cognate of the Latin Marcus, a name of debated origin and meaning. Most believe it has its root in Mars, the name of the Roman mythological god of war, and thus give it the meaning “war-like.” Others, however, think it to be from mas (manly) or from the Greek malakoz (soft, tender). The name was borne in the Bible by one of the four evangelists, the author of the second Gospel.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Mark? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Mark
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Armenian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Armenia
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Hungarian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Hungary
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
Contribute your knowledge to the name Mark
- Comments and insights on the name Mark: | Edit
A good, pleasant-sounding name.
- Personal experiences with the name Mark: | Edit
I have an uncle Mark. His sibling are Judy, Ruth, Sarah, Jon, and Debbie. Old fashioned, simple and nice name.
My husband changed his name to Mark. Similar to his original name, but simpler. No confusions anymore.
We named our second son Mark in 2012. He is the only Mark we know under 30. It is a great name that is simple, classic and never mispronounced.
- Nicknames for Mark: | Edit
Marcus, Marky, Marco (Polo), Mick, Mickey
- Meanings and history of the name Mark: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Mark: | Edit
Mark Twain, American author
Mark Sheehan, guitarist of The Script
Mark Wahlberg, AKA Marky Mark, actor/rapper
Mark Spitz, Olympic swimmer
Mark Anthony (Marcus Antonius), Roman general and lover of Cleopatra
Mark Foster, American Musician, Lead singer of Foster the People
Mark Pontius, American Musician, Drummer of Foster the People
Mark Knopfler, British musician (Dire Straits)
Mark Owen, Singer/ Previous member of the band "Take That"
Mark Teixeira, American professional baseball player.
Mark Sanchez, American football quarterback
Mark Buehrle, starting pitcher for the Chicago White Sox.
Mark Speight, Previous children's entertainer and artist of the children's art show "Smart"
Mark Zuckerberg, CEO and creator of Facebook
Mark Sheppard, British actor
Mark Pellegrino, American actor
- Mark in song, story & screen: | Edit
Mark Cohen, main character/narrator of Broadway musical Rent.
Dr. Mark Sloan, former character in Grey's Anatomy. Head of plastic surgery, and is now deceased.
Mark Darcy, Bridget Jones' love interest in the novels by Helen Fielding (and played by Colin Firth in the film adaptations)