Marvin Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Marvin:
A name that arose in the Middle Ages as a variant of the Welsh Mervyn (sea hill, eminent marrow). Alternatively, it might be derived from the obsolete Merefin, a compound name composed of the element mere (lake, pond, sea) and the ethnic term Finn (a Finn, from Finland) or fionn (white, fair, clear).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Marvin? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Marvin
Contribute your knowledge to the name Marvin
- Comments and insights on the name Marvin: | Edit
Marvin is my Dad''s name . His dad's name was Marlin so I guess my grandmother wanted her 8th child's name similar to his dad's name . Thought about naming my future son Marvin (Blake) after his Paw Paw
- Personal experiences with the name Marvin: | Edit
Starvin' Marvin's Gas Station
- Nicknames for Marvin: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Marvin: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Marvin: | Edit
- Marvin in song, story & screen: | Edit
R&B singer Marvin Gaye
"Marvin Redpost" children's series by Louis Sachar
Marvin the Paranoid Android, from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy