Matthew: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Matthew | Boys
Origin of the name Matthew:
A derivative of the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Matthaeus and the Ecclesiastic Greek Matthaios and Matthias, contractions of Mattathias. The name has its root in the Hebrew Matityah, which is derived from mattīthyāh (gift of God).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Matthew? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Matthew
- Comments and insights on the name Matthew: | Edit
I love this name for a boy! Matthew sounds like an all- American name, maybe a star football player...
- Personal experiences with the name Matthew: | Edit
My husband's name is Matthew. I am trying to convince him to at least make our son's (if we have one when we try) middle name Matthew. He's not having it.
But I will say that I believe most of a person's personality comes from their name. Give or take if the child is raised to be who they are, and not what the parent wants them to be.
With that, my husband (and others that i know who have same names) and other Matt's are very smart, old fashioned, creative....flat out genius.
My baby brother is named Matthew, and it is the least creative name in my family. My brother, however, is not just another Matt. In fact, I seem to know a lot of Matts who are not just another Matt. I think it is a name that transitions well from childhood into adulthood, and is hard not to like. When you have a Matthew, you are guaranteed that your child will bring character to his name, not the other way around. One quality I do like about it is that it goes well with sibling names, regardless of how unusual (or usual) they are.
My name is Matthew and I was born in the late 1970s. I actually never thought much about my name, which may or may not be a good thing. It mildly annoyed me that there were always several "Matts" in any class or group I was in. Then again, there was never anything unusual or odd about my name. To distinguish between me and the hundreds of other Matts running around, I was always referred to by my full name; my last name is a difficult-to-pronounce ethnic name so I heard every possible mis-pronounciation of my surname. As an adult, I do appreciate the "adult" sound to Matthew; it grew up well. It doesn't bring as much weighty significance as other names, but it does the trick.
- Nicknames for Matthew: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Matthew: | Edit
Matthew was one of the twelve apostles in the Bible, originally a tax collector who gave up his profession to follow the teachings of Jesus.
- Famous real-life people named Matthew: | Edit
Matthew Bomer, American actor
Matthew Broderick, American actor
Matthew "Matt" Damon, American actor
Matthew Fox, American actor
Matthew Macfadyen, English actor
Matthew McConaughey, American actor
Matthew Perry, American actor
Matthew "Matty" Mullins, lead singer for the band Memphis May Fire
Matthew "Matt" Good, guitarist for the band D.R.U.G.S (since broken up), former guitarist for the band From First to Last (also broken up)
- Matthew in song, story & screen: | Edit
One of the four gospels and one of the twelve disciples in the Bible
Matt Dillon, "Gunsmoke" character
Matt Camden, a character in the TV series "7th Heaven"
"Matthew & Son" a song by Cat Stevens
Name Lists Featuring Matthew
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Alberta)
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Ontario)
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Matthew
- #2 in Canada (Ontario)
- #2 in Northern Ireland
- #6 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #8 in Canada (Alberta)
- #9 in Scotland
- #10 in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- #10 in United States
- #17 in Ireland
- #21 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #21 in Australia (Victoria)
- #21 in New Zealand
- #24 in England
- #76 in Canada (Quebec)