Matthias: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Matthias
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Matthias? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Matthias
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria, 2010
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders), 2010
- Icelandic Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Iceland
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders) for 2012
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Matthias
- Comments and insights on the name Matthias: | Edit
Some say it's the germanic form of the greek Mathaios/Mathias. Either way it's a rare and very beautiful name!
- Personal experiences with the name Matthias: | Edit
I know an Asian woman who named her son Matthias. She says people often ask her why she chose such a "European" name for her son, and why didn't she just choose Matthew instead.
I met a german guy with that name,one of the most attractive names i've eever heard if you ask me.Deffinetely a choice if i have a son..
- Nicknames for Matthias: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Matthias: | Edit
In the Bible, Saint Matthias was chosen as an apostle to replace Judas Iscariot after his betrayal of Jesus (Acts 1:21–26).
- Famous real-life people named Matthias: | Edit
Matthias Grunewald, German Renaissance artist
Matthias Jakob Schleiden (1804 – 1881), German botanist and co-founder of cell theory
Matthias, YouTube personality and winner of season 2 of Internet Icon
- Matthias in song, story & screen: | Edit
In Brian Jacques's children's book series, an adventurous young mouse named Matthias is the main character in the first book, "Redwall."