Matthias Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Matthias? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Matthias
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria, 2010
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders), 2010
- Icelandic Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Iceland
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders) for 2012
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Matthias
- Comments and insights on the name Matthias: | Edit
Some say it's the germanic form of the greek Mathaios/Mathias. Either way it's a rare and very beautiful name!
- Personal experiences with the name Matthias: | Edit
I know an Asian woman who named her son Matthias. She says people often ask her why she chose such a "European" name for her son, and why didn't she just choose Matthew instead.
I met a german guy with that name,one of the most attractive names i've eever heard if you ask me.Deffinetely a choice if i have a son..
I know 2 Matthias'. One is pronounced ma-TIY-us, the other MAT-ee-us. I love both.
- Nicknames for Matthias: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Matthias: | Edit
In the Bible, Saint Matthias was chosen as an apostle to replace Judas Iscariot after his betrayal of Jesus (Acts 1:21–26).
- Famous real-life people named Matthias: | Edit
Matthias Grunewald, German Renaissance artist
Matthias Jakob Schleiden (1804 – 1881), German botanist and co-founder of cell theory
Matthias, YouTube personality and winner of season 2 of Internet Icon
- Matthias in song, story & screen: | Edit
In Brian Jacques's children's book series, an adventurous young mouse named Matthias is the main character in the first book, "Redwall."
Matthias Kohler the name given to the personification of Denmark in the anime Hetalia.