Maximilian: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Maximilian
Origin of the name Maximilian:
Arose as a blending of the Latin Maximus (greatest) and Aemiliānus by the Emperor Frederich III, who bestowed it upon his first-born son, Maximilian I (1459 - 1519), in honor of two famous Roman generals. Maximus is directly derived from maximus (greatest), but the etymology of Aemiliānus is uncertain.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Maximilian? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Maximilian
- Comments and insights on the name Maximilian: | Edit
What a nice name! I love Max as a nickname. Maximilian is much better than the more newly coined "Maximillian", with two l's.
- Personal experiences with the name Maximilian: | Edit
I had a friend named Max who everyone called Maximilian in school.It was fun to use a longer name for the shorter name he went by.It is one of those names that sounds sophisticated and sensible.
- Nicknames for Maximilian: | Edit
Max, Maxy, Milo, Miles
- Meanings and history of the name Maximilian: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Maximilian: | Edit
St. Maximilian Kolbe who died in a Nazi concentration camp by lethal injection after starving him didn't work.
Maximilian I of Mexico, Mexican Emperor (known as Maximiliano in Mexico)
- Maximilian in song, story & screen: | Edit
The awesome red robot with buzz-saw hands in Disney's 1979 film The Black Hole
Name Lists Featuring Maximilian
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria, 2010
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010